Snow plow cylinders?

/ Snow plow cylinders? #1  

Bigboyskioti

Silver Member
I bought an old plow that I have now mounted to the front of my CK20HST. I'm thinking remove the FEL and plumb in an up/down cylinder and an angle cylinder. I've been looking around and the one I'm seeing seem to long, closed from pin to pin 20.25". I'd like a shorter pin to pin and still get around 10" or 12" stroke. Is there one made that can do this? Where is the best place to buy cylinders? Thanks for the info. Mitch

/ Snow plow cylinders? #2  
I am doing the same thing. I ordered a new up-down cylinder from Surplus Center. I don't know how great the price was but they had what I was looking for so I ordered it ( comes tomorrow ). Northern Tool shows many different cylinders on their web site, might be worth a look.

/ Snow plow cylinders? #3  
I just finished adding cylinders to a plow I put together. I bought the cylinders and hose from Surplus Center. Their prices are good but more importantly, they give you the necessary specifications that many other places leave out. They have a lot of cylinders and you should be able to find exactly what you need.

Surplus Center's stock of hydraulic fittings isn't as good. I went over Discount Hydraulic Hose and found everything I could ever need.

Good luck,
John

/ Snow plow cylinders? #4  
I'm seeing seem to long, closed from pin to pin 20.25". I'd like a shorter pin to pin and still get around 10" or 12" stroke.

There is NO way you can get the stroke length to be more than the overall length.

/ Snow plow cylinders? #5  
kennyd said:
There is NO way you can get the stroke length to be more than the overall length.

Not trying to be a Smart a**, but isn't there such a thing as a two stage ram?

/ Snow plow cylinders? #6  
I've added a truck snow plow to my JD. I took a 24" TSC cylinder, my table saw and a metal cutting wheel and produced a shorter cylinder for up/down action. I took it apart by removing the cylinder tube and cutting it down. Then I cut and rethreaded the 4 tierods that hold the caps together. Finally I chopped off the end of the rod to the length needed, ground a flat, and cross drilled a hole for a pin. It is very easy to pull the cylinder apart and put it back together. The saw gives a nice square, smooth and burr-free cut.

Problem solved. By using a direct 2 way cylinder, I get the downforce occasionally necessary to scrape through ice and slush.

BTW: I made use of the 2 original one-way cylinders which swing the blade for left or right discharge. The original rating was probably 1200 - 1500 psi from a truck 12v pump. By using very small ID hoses, I get by with by 2500 psi tractor loader circuits just fine. It certainly swings fast! (Enough to actually throw snow out the side if necessary).

/ Snow plow cylinders? #7  
Northstar9126 said:

Sure, there is. But they are usually very large, like for forklift or crane use. I seriously doubt you will find any small enough to fit onto a snowplow. And they are VERY expensive! They would not be economical for use on a snowplow. Let me edit what I said:

"There is NO way you can get the stroke length to be more than the overall length in the size that you will need for a plow, and that wouldn't cost a fortune."

/ Snow plow cylinders? #8  
Northstar9126 said:

Ya..same here.. don't want to agrue... but what about Dump trucks..... they have multiple stages inside one cylinder.

/ Snow plow cylinders? #9  
This is what I did and the rear remote operates the angle cyls.

Attachments

• Tractor 002.jpg
    Tractor 002.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 266
  • Tractor 003.jpg
    Tractor 003.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Tractor 004.jpg
    Tractor 004.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 241
   / Snow plow cylinders? #10  
I've found that Dalton Bearing and Hydraulic is somewhat cheaper than surplus center on most cylinders. Though, they don't carry much in the way of adapters, hoses, etc.