Snow Attachments Snow plow attachment for my FEL

/ Snow plow attachment for my FEL #1  

sheetsg

Tractor
DK45
I saw this idea on this forum and when I found a 8' Meyers plow for the right price (yes, free), I could not pass up this. Attached is a picture of the snow plow in use.

Attachments

• 360599-Snow Plow and Tractor.jpg
    360599-Snow Plow and Tractor.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,133
   / Snow plow attachment for my FEL
More details about the the photo. My tractor is a Kioti DK-45, with Rhino 2409 FEL and water/methonal filled tires (good for minus 15F). Have chains for tires, but with filled tires and plow instead of bucket, don't seem to need them.

My driveway is 1/4 mile long and paved, with curves and a 10% grade at times. This system seems to work great, but I need to keep the plow pivot point low to the ground to work properly.

Greg.

Here is how I attached the snow plow to the bucket.

Attachments

• 360621-Weld in back of bucket.jpg
    360621-Weld in back of bucket.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 925
   / Snow plow attachment for my FEL #4  
I know a guy that wants to do this for his tractor......He is worried that with having the blade that far out from the front tires the the snow with an angled blade would shove the tractor sideways. Are you having this problem at all? Are you able to go fast enough for the snow to roll off the blade to the side? Looks like fun!

I have no problem now that I know how to best use my setup. Basically, I need to keep the bucket as low as possible in order to keep the plow level with the pavement. In this configuration, the snow moves off to the side quite nicely. Last time I plowed was 8" of heavy snow without a problem. I'm sure if the snow was either thicker or heavier, I might have a problem, but then, I'd just push straight to break it up and then move it off to the side.

Greg.

/ Snow plow attachment for my FEL #6  
I debated buying either a plow attachment and/or ~72" snowblower, and the jury is still out on the blower, but am pretty sure I can survive without the plow. I had my first real test of snow removal using my JD990 (with 430 FEL) in early November.
I was able to push the ~12" of snow forward, and my ~1700' driveway has two or three well-placed sharp turns that allow me to just keep pushing the snow until it is off the drive. Then I back up, and can tackle the next segment with no hassles.
I was very surprised to see how well the 430 handled the snow, and I had just received an earful from my sister (also my neighbor), and my wife, the morning of the big snow, for not buying the Woods SB 74 blower. I had been eyeing it up, as a dealer told me it can come in John Deere green.
But now the blower now seems like an unneccessary expense.
The biggest challenge, I find, is plowing low enough for 2wd cars to navigate, but not so low as to scrape the rather fragile oil and chip driveway.

/ Snow plow attachment for my FEL #7  
If you leave an inch or two of snow on top of the drive, the cars will turn it to ice and will cover up the fragile driveway. That's what I do with my loose gravel drive. In the early winter I clean with the rearblade turned backwards to help the ice form.

/ Snow plow attachment for my FEL #8  
The plow set-up looks great. I tried something like that without the trip springs etc...and it tended to act more like a dozer on my blacktop driveway. I've read of others doing what you did and it looks like it should also work for me. Could you detail how you connected to the bucket? The picture makes it difficult to tell. Did you weld some angle iron on the inside of the bucket? Appreciate any information. I may give it a try.

/ Snow plow attachment for my FEL #9  
JLong, when I built my system I used 6" channel iron and angle stock to build the bucket mount. To this I welded (not I but the welder I use in the area) the plow clevis frame. Then I had to set the plow in the bucket and level it at the height I wanted the plow to operate at ( like what was said before , you want the bucket close to the ground when plowing, not on a steep angle downward). Then I set the chain to a hook in the middle of the bucket so that the chain was tight when I raised the bucket and the plow A- frame was off the bucket cutting edge. I used six 3/4" stainless bolts to attach the mounting frame inside the bucket. My system didn't have the sector and pin that I see in the above attachment this makes it very easy to set the angle. I am about to start making a new system for my BX2200. I will be using a 54"- 60" Cub Cadet Super Garden tractor blade or an older 60 inch Kubota blade for the new system. They both have a sector and pin setup and they both come with skid shoes. Mark

/ Snow plow attachment for my FEL #10  
I saw your discussion of the plow in the bucket, and thought i would show you guys what i came up with. I designed a mounting kit to attach a plow to a skid steer. I have tested this plow setup spreading gravel in my driveway as well as plowing snow. I have pictures of the plow in action on my site. Yes this seems like a shameless plug for my site, but truthfully i liked your idea, and felt compelled to share mine as well.
Bob Payne
Payne's Forks
paynetool@csinet.net

Attachments

• 369247-ad.jpg
    369247-ad.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 418