Snow guards

/ Snow guards #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
I'm looking to add snow guards to my metal roof barn. The metal roofing has a Kynar 500 paint and my contractor wants to use the SnoGem polycarbonate ones that adhere to the roofing. He says this protects against rust from metal to metal contact. Thoughts on this?

/ Snow guards #2  
I have not had any trouble with rust, but the trouble most have (including me) is not using enough of them. Follow the recommendations of the manf. for the number of rows & spacing for your area.
I used a stamped SS "snow birds" that screwed onto the roof/framing. Many of them folded over & some partially pulled out leaving holes. I doubled the number while replacing/repairing the first attempt, better but still had some damage with a big snow. You'll be wasting your money if you don't follow what they suggest for your roof pitch and snow load.

/ Snow guards #3  
I've had the poly snow guards (glue down) on my metal roof for over ten years now.

The first year three didn't stay glued and had to be redone, but I just figured I hadn't cleaned the roof well enough for good adhesion.

/ Snow guards #4  
I had a rubber roof installed over my kitchen area with no attic above. Roof contractor installed poly snow guards by using adhesive and no holes in roof. First year snow build-up loosened some which ended up in either gutters or on the ground. Second year the majority of what was still on roof came off during the winter. I think maybe a couple are still on the roof but decided I am better off without them. Snow can slid off without building up into larger amount of ice and snow.

PA-GUY

/ Snow guards #5  
For what it is worth, Morton Buildings does not recommend using any type of snow guard. They want the snow to slide off as soon as possible.

/ Snow guards
For what it is worth, Morton Buildings does not recommend using any type of snow guard. They want the snow to slide off as soon as possible.

So my contractor says that high snow loads will rip off the gutters. He is also concerned that large amounts of snow will fall from the upper portion of my home roof and land on the porch roof causing damage from all the weight. If I didn't have two levels on house plus gutters on house and barn I don't think I would worry with it. Thoughts?

/ Snow guards #7  
Probably no specific help to you, but the gutters being ripped off was the exact reason why I installed the snow guards. I haven't had that happen since.

/ Snow guards #8  
couple issues with metal roofs, snow and gutters.. depends on the location (weather) pitch of the roof and building access (Doors)...
I have had winters when the snow in October didn't leave till April just build up and kept coming.. had warm ups in mid winter some times where it would melt but not slide off (I have a 4/12 roof) that's a problem as the gutters fill up then freeze connected to snow and the whole works comes off when it does let loose.. if you want gutters and no stops put the gutters lower than normal so snow shoots off roof without hitting the gutter edge.
if your not daily occupants if you have snow come off and your not there to deal with it, it will be like concrete frozen and you won't be able to get a storm door open.. as to Morton not wanting snow guards its probably they are marginal on the snow load specs for the building.. I went with a builder that knows snow country and builds for 200" snowfall seasons.. long story short put them where you need them walk ways, doors but otherwise let it come off.. as far as falling snow/ice from one height to another IMG_1578.JPGIMG_1581.JPGhere is a couple work pictures from this spring..

/ Snow guards #9  
couple issues with metal roofs, snow and gutters.. depends on the location (weather) pitch of the roof and building access (Doors)...
I have had winters when the snow in October didn't leave till April just build up and kept coming.. had warm ups in mid winter some times where it would melt but not slide off (I have a 4/12 roof) that's a problem as the gutters fill up then freeze connected to snow and the whole works comes off when it does let loose.. if you want gutters and no stops put the gutters lower than normal so snow shoots off roof without hitting the gutter edge.

if your not daily occupants if you have snow come off and your not there to deal with it, it will be like concrete frozen and you won't be able to get a storm door open.. as to Morton not wanting snow guards its probably they are marginal on the snow load specs for the building.. I went with a builder that knows snow country and builds for 200" snowfall seasons.. long story short put them where you need them walk ways, doors but otherwise let it come off.. as far as falling snow/ice from one height to another View attachment 477739View attachment 477740here is a couple work pictures from this spring..

Good comments regarding the gutters. One of my neighbours lost all his gutters when he changed from asphalt shingles to a metal roof.

This is a timely thread for me since I plan to install some kind of shields on this shed:

20150107_WolfgangWinter_1.jpg 20150107_WolfgangWinter_2.jpg

When the snow is wet and dense as shown in the photos it is just about like concrete as soon as it falls off, and it is often dangerous until it does fall off. It slowly slides down leaving a 3 or 4' length hanging from the roof edge. I worry about the pets and go and knock it down with a shovel. But then it is still a chore to back-drag with the bucket so I can clear it with the blower. It is almost impossible to shovel as soon as it does drop off, and definitely impossible once it freezes.

The roofs on the house are asphalt shingles. The snow stays up all winter.

As mykleh states, it is good to speak with builders familiar with your local conditions and follow their advice. You also need to make sure your roof will handle the snow for the worst snow conditions. The design load condition may be more severe with adding snow guards since some design specs allow for maximum snow load on metal roofs without guards. The actual snow load will certainly increase from adding the guards.

My shed is a 35 year old pole shed which I am sure was not built to any codes. It has stood this long with no problem or clearing so I'm confident it will withstand the snow. Plus...it's a shed, and not too serious if it did get damaged. I would be more fussy checking it out if it was the house roof that I was planning to change.

We've lived here 13 years, and I'm finally going to fix the snow-slides-off-the-shed roof problem.

/ Snow guards
Ok thanks for everyone's thoughts. I have two guys I'm working with. One is a close friend of mine also my contractor and has recommended snoguards for a couple years now. Also I have another gentleman that specializes in metal roofs for my area recommending them as well. Based on this I guess I will proceed with adding them.