Snow chains question

/ Snow chains question #11  
on my old JD870, when i replaced the rear tires with the same make goodyear tires, they were larger than original..even though the numbers were the same. with $600 worth of chains, im not taking any chances

These things are pretty tough I've found. I get mine at TSC , and I get the biggest diameter that will fit through the links. If I needed to lengthen a chain, or reconnect a cut off section of links, I think these would work. Right now, one is holding one side of my chain end links together since I lost one of those twisted c-shaped connectors.

3 Piece 3/16" Quick Links

There are various fittings to connect chain links. You aren't risking much to cut off the extra if you want to.

/ Snow chains question #12  
ya well,..nothing beats welded chain

/ Snow chains question #14  
grsthegreat, you have a nice set-up,
that rear tank, is that to power your "hydraulic front blower?

/ Snow chains question #15  
Three of my neighbors chipped in and bought me snow chains for the tractor because their driveways are on slight hills and hard to keep tractions on.

I got a 2 link chain from tirechains.com that needed a little adjustment to get them to fit tight enough - had to drop 2 cross links and then removed about 4 side chains that would otherwise be banging around..

My questions is- Are the chains suppose to be straight across or is it 'ok' for them to be a slight diagonal? you can see in the pic that each side drops down in between the lugs and are just slightly angled.

View attachment 362507

At 56 lbs. per chains they are not the easiest thing to get on, much less trying to reposition them while getting them tight enough that they run straight across.

thanks

b

My Two Link Chains look about the same as yours and I have R4 tires also. Some cross links falling between the lugs.
So yes, they are not all straight across. I cut off all the dangling pieces.
I do not have any liquid in my tires, so for installing chains I let all the air out of my tires, then install the chains, then air up the tires. The chains are sufficently tight, and do not move so that I do not require a bungee, like what is shown in the picture of your tires.
I don't ever drive on pavement in the summer, only a 100 yards stretch in the winter to snow blow my neighbors driveway, and then the highway is mostly hardpacked snow anyway. The chains don't harm my lawn or gravel driveway in the summer, so I don't even bother to take the chains off anymore.
The chains and tires still look almost new after about 400 hours on my Kubota B7800, and so far I have never had to touch the chains or tires for any adjustments.

157134d1262096000t-2-link-chains-kubota-7800-r4_2linkladder.jpg

Last edited:
   / Snow chains question #16  
I run mine as tight as I can get them on and then add the tensioners....have always done it that way, be it truck or tractor. The R4 tires work fine that way, but not so good without the chains. The loose ends are wired. BTW, I just took the chains off to work in some dirt excavation, so as to not tear up the shallow frozen surface of the turf. And yes.............there is sleet, freezing rain and snow in the forecast. :rolleyes: Darn,.....those things are heavy for this old man.

/ Snow chains question #18  
Running your chain with a bit of clearance is especially nice with mud or wet snow (the type that sticks to your tires. Your loose chain will free itself, and your tire wont grow or accumulate snow. Perhaps the size or your fist for the rear, but a little less for smaller front tires otherwise you run into other's problems. If you need two crowbar, and your sweating blood trying to connect them, there are a little tight indeed!

P1010826.jpgP1010828.jpg

/ Snow chains question
Don't forget to tie the loose ends down with zip ties inside and outside and rock 'n' roll!

Since the pic was taken i have cut 5 links off the side chains.. I wasnt sure how to secure what was left though, so i will try the zip ties..

Brian

/ Snow chains question #20  
Zip ties will work or bungee cords just tight enough to stop the slop lol.
I have a set, with the old tires I had they fit perfect, with new tires I had to use quick links. They are on there a bit loose after driving on them for awhile but it lets them move around the tire which is nice when you start to slip a bit.