Snow chain help

/ Snow chain help #1  

Jack6378

Tractor
Fartrac555
This chain is really frustration me! It came off about 5 times so far.you can see by the pics these are the only ends I have. The other side is tied with wire and it has not come off in a year.

Attachments

• 20211226_085829.jpg
    20211226_085829.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
  • 20211226_085809.jpg
    20211226_085809.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 139
   / Snow chain help #2  
Use rubber bungee cords to snug the chains nice and tight (on the inside too). That's what I do.

Attachments

• 1CE9FB46-1188-4884-9678-ADBC1A933BE5.jpeg
    1CE9FB46-1188-4884-9678-ADBC1A933BE5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
  • 943A9421-FCD5-4495-B669-0DD5BDA0690D.jpeg
    943A9421-FCD5-4495-B669-0DD5BDA0690D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
   / Snow chain help #3  
Looks to me like you have them hooked up wrong.
Hook goes through free end and back to link on hook end.
As you pull it around to hook, it tightens up everything.

I'll try to find a set with that hook & post a picture.

/ Snow chain help #4  
I run chains on 3 different tractors and never thrown chains. I never bungee the inside of the wheel and Zip tie the connections. My theory is I want the bungees to want to draw the slack from the inside to the outside. If using the correct chains you should have more then enough sidewall from the tire to hold the chains in place. Eventually the chains will settle in the lugs and very little shifting.

/ Snow chain help
I have to go back out there so I'll try again.

/ Snow chain help #6  
As has been mentioned it doesn't look to be hooked correctly.
Also normally what appears to be on the outside of the tire which is just hooked,
is usually on the inside and the "cam" over fastener is on the outside of the tire.
You connection points need to be the same length over all.
Where you have two links for your hook, you should have two links for the cam over tightener.
If the side chains are not even lengths your chains will have a tendency to try and walk off.
A bungee or two one the outside can help and shouldn't hurt.
I don't use any on my chains.

/ Snow chain help
I don't have cams on these chains. I just have a hook one one side and a long hook on the other side that's about 6" or so. I have nothing to lock em on the tire I guess that's why they were free.

/ Snow chain help #8  
The long hook should pass through a link on the side chain and be levered back to close and hook on a chain link.
The long arm is fastened to one end of the chain and would hook through and roll, cam, or lever back to the same end if the chain it is attached to.

Are you anywheres close for assistance.

/ Snow chain help #9  
I don't have cams on these chains. I just have a hook one one side and a long hook on the other side that's about 6" or so. I have nothing to lock em on the tire I guess that's why they were free.
The long hook is the cam. Fold the long hook back to its self and there is supposed to be a link just hanging there on the side chain . Your hook goes through the chain link and the link hanging there just slides down and catches hook.

That is a horrible description and IF I have that style won’t be able to get pictures until Tuesday. Hope it helps some.

/ Snow chain help #10  
this guy has non-cam chains with a hook instead kind of like you do. Go to about 7:30 in the video to see how he latched the hook. It may be that your chains are too small for your tires (so maybe add a few links)