Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow Blowing Suggestions?

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #1  

JCA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
Hi folks. First day with the new snow blower. Actually it's an old one, but it's new to me. Kubota Front mount on a little B7510, but that shouldn't make too much difference to my questions.

I guess the main question is--what are your strategies (other than a cozy heated cab) for keeping the powdery stuff from blowing back in your face? I've tried a few combinations of discharge chute angle and height, but so far haven't found anything that works really well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jim

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #2  
Snowmobile helmet.

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #3  
The simplest rule is to keep the wind at your back as much as you can, or directly from one side. Sometimes this means you can only blow going one direction and you have to come back before you make another pass. If you try to blow into the wind, you will get a snow bath. The wind will ***** a snowblower every time.

My driveway runs north and south and I almost always blow toward the east so the usual west wind helps me. Also it's better to have the snow build up on the lee side of the driveway so it won't drift as deeply.

Hope this hasn't been too obvious.

Tom

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #4  
Only snowblow on a windless day. Trade the snowthrower in on a blade. Get quicker rotating the chute. Don't throw it as high up in the air. Have your wife or girlfriend do it.
If all else fails, try to remember how much fun that used to be when you were a kid.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #5  
Don't spit or blow snow into the wind, either way it comes back to haunt you. And don't ask me how I know that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #6  
Blow it downwards, a couple feet from the tractor. Works great for narrow driveways. For wider driveways, you may need to re-blow the the row to get it off the side.

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #7  
There is no way you can keep from getting snow in your face, no matter how many different tricks you may try. However, You can keep it a minimum by setting the top angle as low as you can. The wetter the snow the less angle you an get away with. The dry snow is the one that will come back and get you. As PineRidge said keep the wind at your back as much as possible.
You will always come in looking like a snowman if the snow is dry and the wind is blowing, keep thinking about all those days in the summer when the sun is shining and that might help a little.
Happy winter tractoring /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #8  
I have a large piece of plexiglass zip-tied to the outside of my my ROPs. The "glass" was measured and cut to size and has rounded corners. I gently drilled holes for the zip ties to fit though. It works excellent. Occasionally I have to get off and clear the screen with my glove. It is the most effective method for the money I have used. It's also an easy system to remove in the spring....just snip the ties and protect the glass for the summer. There is a variety of plexiglass like material available. Some are more $ than others.

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #9  
I was going to say snowmobile helmet also.

Mine has a heated face shield to keep it from fogging up.
I made up an extra cord that plugs into a lighter outlet.
Or I will crack the visor a little if it isn't to cold.

With my 30 below coveralls, Artic boots , snowmobile gloves, and my heated helmet, it is a piece of cake.

Dave in NH

/ Snow Blowing Suggestions? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
With my 30 below coveralls, Artic boots , snowmobile gloves, and my heated helmet, it is a piece of cake.Dave in NH )</font>

I think a heated cab is the way to go! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif