Snow Attachments Snow Blower

/ Snow Blower #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
Just received my Agri-trend blower, model; FU72 6 FT 2 c/w #6 PTO

Other than keeping it well greased, oiled and clean. Are there any other tricks?

Should I mount shoes or skids to bottom? Spray shute with wax or pam?

I have pushed a 29" 10hp for the last 5 years on a 800' driveway. So this will be a huge improvement. Any advice would be great and welcomed.

Lloyd

/ Snow Blower #2  
Lloyd-- I don't have a lot of experience with a blower (got mine last Feb), but perhaps some words-- 1) be sure to check mounting bolts of blower to attaching assembly often-- they apparently have a habit of working loose. 2) There's a lengthy thread here on driveshafts for front-mount blowers having issues, but perhaps yours is a different set-up....

I use silicone spray on chute-- figure it can't hurt, but these things are a quantum leap from a walk-behind. I was in the same boat you were, using an 8-HP walk-behind for 15 yrs on a 200-ft sloped driveway, plus turn-around space @ bottom, etc. What a difference!

One of these days wife & I'd love to visit NS-- I hear the fishing's pretty good "up there."

/ Snow Blower
Irving,

Thanks. Any brand suggestion for silicone spray? Do you spray before each use?
My blower is a rear mount. I will be adding wings on the side about - 6" on each side.
This will give me a little more coverage - will cut down on passes - from 3 to 2. Of course this is a huge leap compared to the 6 passes by hand!

NS is a great place to visit. We have a few good salmon rivers and the offshore fishing is OK. Lake and brook trout is more favourable. Our attractions are similar to NH - old houses and old stuff. But were are surrounded by water for the most part except the isthmus from New Brunswick and you can be on the coast within 1 hour or less from anywhere in NS.

Weather is great (with the exception of this summer) fall is fantastic.

Come visit.

It's funny, the wife and I were discussing this last night. Next year I suggested a 3 week
road trip through new england to virginia....if all the projects get completed without too many being added to the list in the spring.

Lloyd

/ Snow Blower #4  
I'll just add a little advice. Keep a box of shear bolts handy. Nothing worse than being half done the driveway....... snapping a shear or two, and having to drive to town to get more.

/ Snow Blower #5  
Howdy.. I'd pull the chute off and coat where the chute rotates with lithium grease. You can still buy it in 1 pound tubs at some hardware stores [like Gilroy's Do-it-Best]. Then each spring, before you store it for the summer....re-grease the chute, touch up the paint, grease the PTO shaft, and get it ready for the next winter. [cover or store it inside]

/ Snow Blower #6  
Hello Lloyd,
You're gonna love that blower.
I keep a can of aerosol chain lube handy and I make sure I spray the chain regularly.
If your driveway is paved or you don't mind a bit of hard packed snow on top you may not need skid shoes. I find I need them on my gravel drive especially until I get the hard pack built up, otherwise I'm spittin stones onto the lawns.

/ Snow Blower
Duct, Jerry and Tig.

Excellent suggestions. The road is gravel - well packed with a slight crown.
It is 12' average and 15' feet wide in some areas. Any suggestion for angle of wings - 22.5 degrees or 45?

Thanks

Lloyd

PS: looked at the almanac - this winter does not look good. Lots of snow starting mid november through to march.

/ Snow Blower #8  
Not sure about wing angle. Our drifts pack hard enough to drive a tractor over top and it's hard to get a bite on them from a section that has blown clear. I figured wings would just make this sitation worse so I held off on that mod. On my 600m lane I make two passes to clear it. That gives me 8' and a bit, plenty of room to drive by. In the spring I clear the entire width and more to allow water to drain away.