Snow blower on a side x side UTV ?

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #1  

Hendey T&G

Tractor
2007 Branson 4720
I know this isn't a tractor but I bet some here will have experience with one. If it's not allowed moderator, please delete. How well could a 28hp 4x4 utv handle a 60" snow blower? I've got lots of hills with a dirt driveway/road.
All the controls are in the cab. The blower has it's own gas motor. I plow mostly with a truck but there are a few places it would be nice to get the snow farther back. I know nothing about utv's or even 4 wheelers for that matter. Seems like I see them with plows fairly often but not blowers. I haven't bought anything yet, just thinking.
Thanks for any wisdom.

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #2  
If you're feeling flush check out the Toolcat from Bobcat. No separate gas motor needed. Sit down when they tell you the price !

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #3  
As long as front suspension will handle the added weight of the blower the UTV should push the blower same as a plow. You might need chains. Since I have no experience with UTV will the gearing allow you to travel at a slow steady pace for the blower?

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #4  
Kubota has a front mounted blower for their rtv, but they’re not cheap.

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #5  
I would think that your UTV would probably handle it with no problems. But snowblowers love and need horsepower, the more the better. When you go shopping this is key as I imagine that you'll need about 60+" of cut to clear the Utv.
I would be a little concerned about how slowly the UTV can move along in low range without worrying about the belt and "burning" it. You will need a very slow travel speed blowing all but the driest, fluffiest snow that's maybe 6"deep.
This is for a belt driven UTV that for a very few exceptions, are all belt driven.

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #6  
I would think that your UTV would probably handle it with no problems. But snowblowers love and need horsepower, the more the better. When you go shopping this is key as I imagine that you'll need about 60+" of cut to clear the Utv.
I would be a little concerned about how slowly the UTV can move along in low range without worrying about the belt and "burning" it. You will need a very slow travel speed blowing all but the driest, fluffiest snow that's maybe 6"deep.
This is for a belt driven UTV that for a very few exceptions, are all belt driven.
Honda is not belt driven

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #7  
I would be a little concerned about how slowly the UTV can move along in low range without worrying about the belt and "burning" it.

^This. Even in Low Range, all UTVs I've been around move fairly fast. They don't have a "creeper" gear. Even the Hondas with the dual clutch transmissions (no belt) have problems moving at crawling speeds without having clutch problems.

That being said, I've no experience with something like the industrial Kubotas with diesel engine. Maybe someone who owns one can tell us if they are OK to use at creeper speeds.

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #8  
20+ hp minimum for a 60" blower in my opinion and experience using a 60" 14hp blower on a 4wheeler for 2 years now. It's Slow going and hard to keep a steady slow crawling speed forward motion as others pointed out. I usually have to move forward stop let the augers clear out briefly and repeat especially blowing around a foot of snow. But if you don't have a good place to push and bank snow with a plow it will blow it 20-30' pretty well.

Last edited:
   / Snow blower on a side x side UTV ?
Thanks for all the good input.
I'll keep it in mind.

/ Snow blower on a side x side UTV ? #10  
I know this isn't a tractor but I bet some here will have experience with one. If it's not allowed moderator, please delete. How well could a 28hp 4x4 utv handle a 60" snow blower? I've got lots of hills with a dirt driveway/road.
All the controls are in the cab. The blower has it's own gas motor. I plow mostly with a truck but there are a few places it would be nice to get the snow farther back. I know nothing about utv's or even 4 wheelers for that matter. Seems like I see them with plows fairly often but not blowers. I haven't bought anything yet, just thinking.
Thanks for any wisdom.
Should handle it just fine. Even if your UTV is only 28 h.p. you say the blower has it's own engine. I see lots of people that use them with their ATV/UTV's.
A blower will be much easier on it than a plow.

As for belt driven CVT's, I see all the hate from some people, but my 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. plowed my 300 foot driveway and transport parking for 8 years straight, plus all the trail riding in summer and it's still going today. I recently changed the belt not because I had to, only because I figured maybe I should. It had a 60 inch plow.

Besides my tractor/loader/blower I now use a Kubota RTV-X1100C with a Boss 6.6 vee plow.
It works awesome. No power or traction issues. Only had steering traction issues when I let days of wet snow build up.
That's why i prefer blowers over plows. But here in Canada, the K-Connect and front blower for my RTV was $24,000!! No thanks.