Snapper with pulling problems

/ Snapper with pulling problems #1  

georgia plow boy

Bronze Member
I've got a snapper, L1230 ,syncro transfer, model lt120g30bb, That I'm having a problem with,in 4th and 5th gear ,It wont pull up even a small incline, Its been giving me trouble with steep grades, but now its much worse.I was told that it didn't have a clutch , So can anyone give me an Idea ,what the problem could be,and how it could be fixed ,thanks a lot your help will be greatly appericated

/ Snapper with pulling problems
I'm not sure, How could I check to see, It does fell like something is slipping, when going up an incline, I can feel it trying to pull,But it's only doing it in the two high gears, I can shift it into a lower gear and it will pull,

/ Snapper with pulling problems #4  
That would be consistent with a drive belt slipping as fourth and fifth gears require more torque to propel the machine at slow speeds . Apart from advising you to look under it too see if it indeed does have a belt driving the rear axle and if it is in fact loose with the pedal in the drive position i can't say any further as i'm not familliar with the machine . I'm sure someone here will be and be more help .

/ Snapper with pulling problems #5  
Does this use the two disc drive system transmission with one rubber disc and one aluminum one to get different ratios??

I dont have a clue, About the only thing I know about lawn mowers is how to operate them, This one has the motor in front with the plastic hood on it.I could post some pic. If that would help. Just let me know where to point the camera at. I know it's hard for you guy's to help me, since I have so little knowledge about the mower, but I really do appreciate it, and If you guys can take the time to walk me through it ,I would be eternally grateful, btw, on the hood it says L1230G syncro Transfer.

/ Snapper with pulling problems #7  
Some of the Snappers use a rubber disc driving an aluminum plate as a transmission. If the rubber disc gets too worn, glazed or wet with oil, it will give similar symptoms.

Take a peek and see if you see something that looks like two perpendicular discs underneath.

The rubber disc might look like this:

Amazon.com: Snapper Part 5-3103 Drive Disc Replacement with Brake Liner

I might be looking in the wrong place, but this is what I'm seeing under the back>

Attachments

• snapper back end 001 (200 x 150).jpg
    snapper back end 001 (200 x 150).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 246
  • snapper back end 002 (200 x 150).jpg
    snapper back end 002 (200 x 150).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 193
  • snapper back end 003 (200 x 150).jpg
    snapper back end 003 (200 x 150).jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 174
  • snapper back end 004 (200 x 150).jpg
    snapper back end 004 (200 x 150).jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 192
   / Snapper with pulling problems #9  
Looks like a gear drive - I'd check the belt for glazing, oil or looseness.

I ,Think I might have found the belt, I took a flashlight with me ,looked between the right back tire and the frame,And saw a belt,Is this the one, If so how do I get to it to check it, Should I take the tire off ,or the back fenders.BTW thanks again for you help

Last edited: