Smoothing land - How to start over.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #12  
A heavy duty spike harrow with a couple of rail ties tied on will scrape the high spots and level it. I'm just thinking that getting a plow is going to make things worse.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #13  
I'm in middle Tennessee, too. We haven't had much rain lately. My ground is so hard right now that it would be difficult to smooth out. Back in March-April, the ground had enough moisture that it was more workable.

Perhaps you could hold off until we get more moisture back in the ground? Probably going to be some months from now. There are transitional points when it goes from being muddy from the winter to being workable in the early Spring to later being rock hard.

Plus, the heat index was pushing 110 last week. It's better this week, but we're headed into late June, then July and August which are usually our hottest and most dry months.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #14  
I’d wait till fall

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #15  
I’d wait till fall

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #16  
Been recently looking at either a used L3940 or L4240 in our area that are within our price range.

Kubota 'Grand L' tractors are wonderful.

I had two economy tractors before purchasing my 'Grand L' - L3560.
Well worth the incremental cost.

The L3940 and L4240 mostly draw 72" wide implements.
Either tractor will operate an 84" wide, forward-rotation tiller.

Make sure the tractor you buy has 4-WD.

Dimensions L3940 and L4240
Wheelbase:74.6 inches
189 cm
Length:121.5 inches
308 cm
Width:66.5 inches
168 cm
Height (ROPS):94.4 inches
239 cm
Weight:3,527 lbs
1599 kg (Open Station)
4,001 lbs
1814 kg (HST - Cab)
Ground clearance:14.6 inches
37 cm
Front tread:51.2 inches
130 cm
Rear tread:50.6 to 60.2 inches
128 to 152 cm

Last edited:
   / Smoothing land - How to start over. #17  
Your present tractor will work fine. The same sized tractors have been used to convert many a pasture into seeded crop land. ( pastures like over 50 acres )
Plough the area. Weight your disk down and work the ploughed area in different directions till the sod is broke up. Then use a drag about 15 feet long pulled at a slight angle to level the area down. Might have to till a few time in between the dragging. When the surface meets your needs reseed.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #18  
I had kind of the same situation. I own wooded property with about 15 acres if fields and had it select cut timbered last summer. It rained towards the clean up phase and the logger’s tried their best to smooth out the land where they stored logs to load and had equipment, thus area was about 2-3 acres with ruts as it dried last summer. I simply put my box blade on my Kioti DK5510 tractor and ran back and forth, sideways etc and after a long day had filled the ruts and planted clover for fall.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #19  
A couple of years ago, I rented a compact roller that vibrated. I waited until after a rain while the ground still had some moisture. It made a difference.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #20  
jeff93666 is spot on. I have a Land Pride 1048 disk. My field grass is so tuff - there are areas where this grass prevents the disk from even making a mark in the dirt. Just a waste of money.

I would like a HD tiller. But too much - $$$$. I lower the scarifiers on my LPGS and slowly but surely smooth and level many areas. Lower the scarifiers in stages - not all at once.