Smelly Rotella

/ Smelly Rotella #11  
Yap the 5W is like 0 degrees the other is at say 200 degrees or so. Not sure off hand but at the high end is all you need to be concerned.

Yet a oil of a lower viscocity can be used in applications if it has a high film strength etc.. examples 5w20 gas cars retroactive by ford/honda on certian engines and 5w30 HD oils now marketed by amsoil and exxon to replace 15w40 as it replaced straight 30w.

I'd say 5w30 CF rated mobil would work well on most tractors not unless they start plugging egr and junk like i've seen planned. May even have them out?

Walmart has pulled rotella 5w40 i reckon no sales. Local distributors are wanting me to order an entire pallet of the product.

/ Smelly Rotella #12  
<font color="blue"> I have noticed that it is no longer stocked at Wal-Mart, </font>
Looked like they were going to discontinue it here also, but they now have gallons only and looks like they are going to have it for awhile. BTW, I got 15 quarts on clearance for $2.50 ea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Smelly Rotella #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yap the 5W is like 0 degrees the other is at say 200 degrees or so. Not sure off hand but at the high end is all you need to be concerned. )</font>

Are saying that the oil is thinner at 0 deg(5w) than it is at 200 deg(40W)?

Any multigrade oil I've used always flows easier hot than cold.

/ Smelly Rotella #14  
Here's an explanation I got from innerauto.com. It provides some detail about how the oils get rated.

"Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil Is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high). Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating. Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils. When choosing oil, always follow the manufacturer's recommendation. "

/ Smelly Rotella #15  
<font color="blue"> Regarding the weight issue, I have always thought that the first number in a multigrade oil (winter weight?) was the oil's performance at some standard winter temperature. The second number is the oil's performance at operating temperature. </font>

100% correct JeffRey, according to API definition.

Bob

/ Smelly Rotella #16  
Thanks, I've read that in other places as well and am familiar with the definition. However there are a lot of people that think the oil is actually thinner at 0 deg(I.E. 5W) and thicker when hot(I.E. 40)

I really think, always have, that the numbers should be reversed. Why?...because oil is thicker cold and thinner hot. Yet the ratings are the opposite and peeps think what I posted above. Not everybody, obviously, thinks that but ask a few lay person about it. The results are interesting.

Perhaps they should go to the honeyW-milk rating system or molassesW-white glue etc... this would more truely reflect what the oil condition is in reality.

/ Smelly Rotella #17  
I just came from the local Kmart and they had the Rotella 15w-40 for $6.49 per gal. Did not seem like a bad price at all. PeterT