Smart phone or basic phone?

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Big article recently on how people are ditching their smart phone in favor of the basic phone.
Heck, I was there first.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #2  
Big article recently on how people are ditching their smart phone in favor of the basic version.
Heck, I was there first.

If you use a phone for work, don't see why you would.

Can you still access the internet, download and store documents on a basic version?

I use drop box to transfer important files (and large), not certain what a "basic version" of a smart phone is?

/ Smart phone or basic phone?
Oops...Corrected to read basic phone.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #4  
We use a basic smart phone. :)

We were having a fair amount of trouble with our Samsung S4 and S5 phones so I recently found the Motorola Moto E4 on sale at wally world for $40 each. These are on a prepaid Verizon plan. We were already on a prepaid Verizon plan for $45 per month and I discovered the new plan was $5 less with more data that rolls over. The plan provides unlimited talk, text, and long distance. The data package is 3 gigs per month so not for somebody that wants to use their phone for streaming a lot. I keep ours set to wifi so they use very little data. I eat up about a 1/2 gig per month surfing the web and using google maps when away from home. Not overly happy with the MOTOs but so far we haven't had to restart the durn thangs to make them work like we were having to do with the chitsung brand. These are pretty basic with not too many bells and whistles but they work okay and have a decent camera and sound quality. Only real problem I have is a couple of apps with input buttons close to the edge are difficult to work.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #5  
I gave up my smart phone for a basic flip phone a few months ago. The basic phone will receive and make calls where the smart phone doesn't in areas with poor service reception where my property is. A contractor pouring concrete in my pole barn was the one to show me the difference. I had no service with my smart phone, he was talking and receiving calls all day.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #6  
I gave up my smart phone for a basic flip phone a few months ago. The basic phone will receive and make calls where the smart phone doesn't in areas with poor service reception where my property is. A contractor pouring concrete in my pole barn was the one to show me the difference. I had no service with my smart phone, he was talking and receiving calls all day.

Just to clarify.... you both had the same carrier ? Verizon is the only carrier we can use here at the farm.....none of the others get signal.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #7  
Just to clarify.... you both had the same carrier ? Verizon is the only carrier we can use here at the farm.....none of the others get signal.
Yes, we both had Verizon as our carrier. The neighbors and my wife have Verizon and smart phones. Mine is the only one that can make calls.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #8  
Don't think I could go back. I use my smart phone for online searches while at work when I need something, or need to learn something. I use the GPS several times a week when going a new house. I can't remember the last time I used a map to find where I wanted to go. I watch the weather and decide what I will do that day, or how long I have to work outside when a storm is coming. I send pics to clients, sometimes several a day if they are not around and I need them to make a decision on something. The flashlight is always there when I need it, and even though I have a nice LED in my truck, it's just easier to pull out my phone and use it for quick trips into attics or looking into a dark place. The calculator is used every time I figure out a bill for a client, and the calendar is how I know what day it is. There is an alarm on my phone so I don't miss appointments. The best thing about my smart phone is that I now have it all in one place instead of a dozen different things stored away in my truck.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #9  
Going from a smart phone to a basic phone is an adjustment. When I was working a smart phone was invaluable. Now that I'm happily retired, the mobile technology need dwindled. I do all my smart phone tasks at home on my Galaxy tablet. Like this post.

/ Smart phone or basic phone? #10  
The only things I really want from a phone is calls and e-mail. The rest of it is, for the most part, useless.

So, what kind of phones did you guys get?