Small Wagon

/ Small Wagon #1  

DIYGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
A while back there was a thread on wagons and spending a couple of thousand $$$ for one. For those of us who just have little estate needs, these are too big. Here's one I built this weekend. Load capacity is 2200 lbs. Deck size is 48x72, could be as large as 48x96. The base was $165 from Harbor Freight and the wood cost $60.

For the additional cost of a hydraulic piston, and a bit of metal, you could easily make a dump trailer, probably 1000-1500 lb. capacity for under $500.

www.diyquest.com

MarkS (DIYGuy)

Attachments

• 265633-Wagon_Complete.JPG
    265633-Wagon_Complete.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,344
   / Small Wagon #2  
You do real nice work Mark, especially with the building of that Jinma 224. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I like your wagon but it's a bit small for my JD 4710. But, you've given me the inspiration to look into getting running gear to build a wagon for the 4710. I'm looking at something that'll accommodate about 5,000-6,000lbs load capacity. Do you have any recommendations?

...Bob

/ Small Wagon
When I was looking for running gear, I didn't see anything that big, and I bought the Harbor Freight stuff on a gamble that it was what I needed. The description was bad, and they had no picture.

That being said, I would look at a used twin axle landscaper's trailer and take to it with a cutting torch and a welder.

FWIW,

MarkS (DIYGuy)

/ Small Wagon #4  
Hi, Bob!! It sounds like what you need is the running gear from an old hay wagon. You can find them around our area pretty easily. I got two last year, and I just got a slightly smaller one last week. If you want to build the wagon yourself, and just want the running gear, you can find that for under $200. Check out the Want Ad Digest for starters.

/ Small Wagon #5  
Hi Rich. I've meant to hit some of these auctions last couple weeks at Salem Farm Supply and Town and Country Auction but I couldn't spend a good part of a day waiting for those wagons to go up for bid. Just have too much to do at this time of year around the place. Will check out Want Ad though and look for additional auctions over the next few months.

Passed your place a few times in recent weeks and I see a lot of terraforming activity going on by the back hillside. Looks like you're excavating for the building of another bank barn. Looks like you also solved your back entrance rutting problems. Did you get your bridge re-built?

...Bob

/ Small Wagon #6  
I have also been looking for used hay wagon running gears.

I have taken out several ads in the local farmers section of the newspaper.

The cheapest I have found is $800 for anything in nice shape.

Still looking for something in the $500 range.

Yooper Dave