Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive
As an add on to the above post, I used to use an open station tractor with a 3 pt blower. Very cold, wet, and slow.

In 2009, I bought a skidsteer with an enclosed heated cab and a blower. It’s great. That would be my recommendation for snow removal.

I do my driveway and my neighbor’s - very large country driveways.
I'll check that sort of config as well.
It might make more sense to have that, and a separate mower.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #12  
As an add on to the above post, I used to use an open station tractor with a 3 pt blower. Very cold, wet, and slow.

In 2009, I bought a skidsteer with an enclosed heated cab and a blower. It’s great. That would be my recommendation for snow removal.

Tractor, cab and snow blower is also great…..and you can use it for many other things without paying $7000 per implement like you do on a skid steer.

I recommend a tractor cab and rear snow blower with a front buck or plow blade (if You have a ton of snow).

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #13  
Good questions!
I want a groomed lawn.. likely will be a mixture including kentucky bluegrass (typical for the area). The lawn footprint is pretty much just a square box right now and open... but those are good points about the weight of the machine vs. the soil. Right now I don't have a good handle on that (will not be on site until December, and will not really see this until spring/summer.
So that finished lawn is the challenge. Normally I would recommend an entirely different machine (Zero turn or a garden tractor) For a groomed lawn. You could go tractor with a mid mount mower…but that would likely be a Kubota BX or JD 1 series. The larger the machine the more ridiculous a MMM is to take on and remove. Tractor with a rear rotary cutter is probably an issue if your lawn has any obstacles at all and you care about tracking it up.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #14  
I'd suggest looking at the Massey Ferguson GC1700, Kubota BX, Kioti CS, Yanmar SA, JD 1 Series and also TYM (and there are other great options). In reality, you really can't go wrong with any 'new' sub compact tractor offerings.

Mike
Normally, I think bigger is better, but I think a subcompact would work well for you. My neighbor has a Kubots GR2120 garden tractor with a front mount snowblower. I am impressed with how well it blows snow, and how it has enough traction with turf tires and no chains. We had 16"+ of heavy wet snow, and it it dispatched it well. The key was a front mount snowblower. He also mows his lawn with it.

AS BX or other subcompact would also perform both roles. A cab is nice, but not necessary - just dress warm.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #15  

manicured lawn and skid steer??

I can just imagine what the lawn will look like after a few tight turns with a skid steer should he need it for other summer uses...
Do not miss my New Holland SS,
was thinking a bit larger for the Op like a cabbed JD 4 series and an inverted blower and keep the bucket / FEL

Then again he did say small. Tractors do tend to shrink after owning them for a while.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #16  
manicured lawn and skid steer??

I can just imagine what the lawn will look like after a few tight turns with a skid steer should he need it for other summer uses...
Do not miss my New Holland SS,
was thinking a bit larger for the Op like a cabbed JD 4 series and an inverted blower and keep the bucket / FEL

Then again he did say small. Tractors do tend to shrink after owning them for a while.

Tracked skidsteer……doesn’t mess up the law at all. Actually used to snowblow paths through the lawn and fields with it for walking the dog.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #17  
Buy the cheapest cub cadet you can at the big box store. Pay for delivery.

If you are lucky, next year you will be an educated consumer and have an idea of what is and isn't important to you.

Good luck on your new farm.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #18  
A couple of things that haven't been discussed. If the budget allows, I would suggest looking at the JD 2 series and whatever corresponds to that in the other brands. They have larger rear tires, more ground clearance and are more capable. Don't shy away from mid mount mowers. With the current drive over decks and auto-connect systems, they are a breeze to attach and remove.

Adding a factory cab is way expensive and you will want one to do much snow blowing. However, fabric cabs (like my Original Tractor Cabs) are available for many popular models and are much cheaper. Depending on the amount of snow you expect and the terrain, consider a snow plow. It's cheaper and faster and works until the banks build up so much you can't push it back.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #19  
Get a cab tractor, then buy a pto finish mower in the back. Easy to take on and off and cheaper then a mmm.

/ Small Tractor reco - Primarily for snowblowing long drive #20  
A couple of things that haven't been discussed. If the budget allows, I would suggest looking at the JD 2 series and whatever corresponds to that in the other brands. They have larger rear tires, more ground clearance and are more capable. Don't shy away from mid mount mowers. With the current drive over decks and auto-connect systems, they are a breeze to attach and remove.

Adding a factory cab is way expensive and you will want one to do much snow blowing. However, fabric cabs (like my Original Tractor Cabs) are available for many popular models and are much cheaper. Depending on the amount of snow you expect and the terrain, consider a snow plow. It's cheaper and faster and works until the banks build up so much you can't push it back.
Yep and to add to the benefits of going to a JD 2series or Kubota B/LX.....you don't have to remove the driveshaft to change a fan belt like the SCUTS.

And the drive over mm Mower deck on my Kubota couldn't be much easier. No wrestling at all. JD would be the same.

Me, I live in the snow belt. So I prefer the tractor with a blower. I had a Boss plow on the F550 Ford truck and I have one on the RTV.......but I like using the tractor and blower. Better visibility and no snow banks and nothing ever closes in on you. And no dug up gravel or lawn.