Small stream crossing

/ Small stream crossing #1  

Mtsoxfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D
Ok, so I posted about making a culvert, and with info posed here, I decided that my stream doesn't have the flow to install a culvert I can't afford to do as suggested.
Someone, thank you, suggested what I would describe as a bed of stone. Since the stream is only 3' wide, and I have only seem max depth of 6", I thought I could lay out rip rap (ledge chunks) and drive over, which is basically what I'm doing at another site. That site though, the rocks are slowly being pushed down into the stream bed.
What are your thoughts of digging down a foot or so, laying driveway fabric, then covering with riprap? My thought is the fabric with help support the riprap from sinking. Remember, 3' wide by 6" deep max. The length of this project will be 10' or so due to layout/stream path.

The previous site used to have cedar logs, up to the stream, perpendicular to path to prevent sinking in mud during mud season. I have addressed drainage issues along path, so crossing is remaining puzzle piece.

/ Small stream crossing #2  
It will work. Or you can just keep adding rock occasionally.

/ Small stream crossing #3  
Our stream beds remained essentially unchanged for years until we got a very hard rain a couple of years ago that moved a lot of rock downstream. If the creek bed is compacted, you might not want to dig it down a foot if it would loosen it up and cause it to start washing.

/ Small stream crossing #4  
The previous site used to have cedar logs, up to the stream, perpendicular to path to prevent sinking in mud during mud season. I have addressed drainage issues along path, so crossing is remaining puzzle piece.
What kind of machines do you need to get across the stream?

/ Small stream crossing
What kind of machines do you need to get across the stream?
Only my 2600# tractor carrying up to capacity or so.
This trail used to be a small operation logging road for the sawmill that used to be on the land. They took an old box truck, stripped to frame to use as a "skidder".
Trail very well compacted now that I've addressed drainage issues that left it almost unpassable in spring.
I guess I may have overthought digging and using fabric.

/ Small stream crossing #6  
I had a small drainage stream going through one of my fields in a spot I need to drive past. . Drys out in the dry summer periods.

I bought a 12’ long section of 2’ (I think) drainage pipe, fit it into the stream bed, and covered it with dirt. Was about 15 years ago at least, and it has held up well; no issues. Drive all my equipment across it.

Nice and simple…..

/ Small stream crossing #7  
Only my 2600# tractor carrying up to capacity or so.
This trail used to be a small operation logging road for the sawmill that used to be on the land. They took an old box truck, stripped to frame to use as a "skidder".
Trail very well compacted now that I've addressed drainage issues that left it almost unpassable in spring.
I guess I may have overthought digging and using fabric.
At only 2600 lbs and a 3' span, I'd consider a bridge. Can you post a picture of the crossing location?

/ Small stream crossing
I had a small drainage stream going through one of my fields in a spot I need to drive past. . Drys out in the dry summer periods.

I bought a 12’ long section of 2’ (I think) drainage pipe, fit it into the stream bed, and covered it with dirt. Was about 15 years ago at least, and it has held up well; no issues. Drive all my equipment across it.

Nice and simple…..
Thanks, but culvert prices around here are high, and used are few and far between, with almost new pricing...

/ Small stream crossing
At only 2600 lbs and a 3' span, I'd consider a bridge. Can you post a picture of the crossing location?
posts 88and 89 in "creating a culvert" thread. As said, money is an issue. At the place I normally cross, its not an issue driving over rock I laid, I just need to add a bit more rock.
It's not a deep drop either. If I laid a 2x4 spanning it, it would be close to about 9/10" to bottom of stream, a dip in the path so to speak. Rock is the direction I'm going, just was wondering if I needed fabric.

/ Small stream crossing #10  
By the time you add up all of the variables, none of the possible solutions are going to be all that much different in price, unless you can salvage materials. A culvert is gonna be a couple hundred, but so would a bridge and so would bringing in rock for a ford. For me, the easiest and cheapest solution would be a bridge built out of timbers, but that's because I have ready availability of logs that I can cut timbers out of with the only expense being my time and gas to run the mill. That's not an option for most folks though.