Oil & Fuel Small pieces of metal in oil

/ Small pieces of metal in oil
The copper 1/16" to 1/8" particles that I found were as you described. I dropped the pan to inspect and everything looked clean including the strainer. I could move one of the rods slightly but around the rod caps and around the mains looked good. I will be removing the rod bearings this weekend for inspection, but I will probably replace them since I have gone this far.
I am planning on ordering a service manual, but just in case it does not come in time could you tell me what the required torque is for the rod bolts on the YM1700?

Thanks very much for all the information.

/ Small pieces of metal in oil #12  
highvolt1 said:
The copper 1/16" to 1/8" particles that I found were as you described. I dropped the pan to inspect and everything looked clean including the strainer. I could move one of the rods slightly but around the rod caps and around the mains looked good. I will be removing the rod bearings this weekend for inspection, but I will probably replace them since I have gone this far.
I am planning on ordering a service manual, but just in case it does not come in time could you tell me what the required torque is for the rod bolts on the YM1700?

Thanks very much for all the information.

Rod bolt torque 33-36 ft lbs per YM195 (YM1700 equivelant) service manual.

Thanks everyone for the advice and assistance. I have ordered parts from Hoye and will start work on it while I have a few days off for Christmas.
I will let you know how it turns out.

Merry Christmas to everyone

Sorry it has taken me so long to let everyone know my findings. I thought if I was going to inspect the bearings, why not replace them while I was there.
There bearings arrived from Hoye(Fast Shipping) and I dropped the cover and removed and replaced the rod bearings which was a rather easy job. There was heat discoloration on the bearings and the front set showed signs of gaulding and pitting thus the metal particles that was found when I changed the oil. There was no damage to the crank journal so the bearings was the only repair needed. When I used the tractor the next day, it had the usual hammer sound that everyone has discussed, but ran hot with the bushhog.
Remembering some of the postings, I checked the coolant and found nearly 100% antifreeze. I drained the system and went back with 70% water and 30% antifreeze and the problem is cured. I used the bushhog about 2 full hours the next day with no problems at all.
I fully enjoying using this YM1700 and hope it last for years. When I put it back in the shed, I thought I heard the JD whimpering, but it gets its turn on occasions.
In my younger days I was a shade tree mechanic on Chevys and Fords, but with my successful repair I may be able to add Yanmar to my resume.
I want to Thank everyone for there advice and comments and I hope to post some pics of my new toy soon.