Small Jib crane for firewood bundles....

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles.... #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
I think this was plan D to lift and move a small-ish firewood bundle 6', if I'd got to plan F I'd gave up and bought a crane. Steel I beam is better, but the prime directive was to go cheap and spend alot of time, go through alot of aggravation and make a Wooden I Beam, and that's because there was a great lack of blueprints and no Youtube ideas. I go on youtube and seems like there's 10,000 examples and video's of jib cranes for cameras, a few floor space taking gantry cranes, but just TRY to get some ideas on jib jabbing. So I had to rely on three people that have no idea what to do, me myself and I and they all came to the same consensus, There will be no floor space taking gantry cranes in, at, on my garage.

First pic is I clamped the crane to the bucket, got it against the wall and screwed it, then a few more pic. to prove that wood can work. I estimated it to be capable of lifting 400 lbs. atleast once.
20170318_172506.jpg 20170318_172615.jpg 20170325_142859.jpg 20170325_142719.jpg 20170325_143355.jpg 20170325_143158.jpg 20170325_143805.jpg

20170325_162753.jpg

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles.... #2  
Nice post... I mean beam! Well both! :thumbsup:

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles.... #3  
I think this was plan D to lift and move a small-ish firewood bundle 6', if I'd got to plan F I'd gave up and bought a crane. Steel I beam is better, but the prime directive was to go cheap and spend alot of time, go through alot of aggravation and make a Wooden I Beam, and that's because there was a great lack of blueprints and no Youtube ideas. I go on youtube and seems like there's 10,000 examples and video's of jib cranes for cameras, a few floor space taking gantry cranes, but just TRY to get some ideas on jib jabbing. So I had to rely on three people that have no idea what to do, me myself and I and they all came to the same consensus, There will be no floor space taking gantry cranes in, at, on my garage.

First pic is I clamped the crane to the bucket, got it against the wall and screwed it, then a few more pic. to prove that wood can work. I estimated it to be capable of lifting 400 lbs. atleast once.

"at least once"!!!!! Hahahaha! That's funny right there, but good job to all three of you lol

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles.... #4  
Very nice! As long as the bottom "flange" of your built-up wooden I-beam is very well-secured to it's "web" you should easily be able to lift a 400 lb load. I hope you used lots of screws and and some good construction adhesive or strong glue to keep it attached under load.

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles.... #5  
Old P is that an old Husky 50 or 55 you've got in your hands? I had a dear and best friend pass away back in 1985. He gave me his hardly used 50 knowing he wasn't going to be using it much. Never met this man's replacement. I have this saw to this day and it is a working implement. With an 18" bar, it makes for a very nice felling saw.

That is a very nice construction. Me? I just would have built a shute.

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles.... #6  
I really like the concept - love lifting things with equipment instead of my back :)

This is just my opinion, but I'm pretty concerned about the screws pulling out.

Screws do good with sheer loads, not so good with holding a pulling load like your lever has created.

When they go, they likely will fail quickly.

Still, kudos for making cool stuff.

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles.... #7  
Lag screws need to be sized and installed properly in order to hold. For (say) a 5/16 screw, you can hope for around 300 lb of pull-out resistance per inch of thread depth. A few lags into a 4x4 post should hold the loads we're talking about here. The weak spot in this design is probably the bottom flange of that I-beam. If it is held in place only by screws, even long No 12's it could eventually fail under the proposed 400 lb load.

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles....
"at least once"!!!!! Hahahaha! That's funny right there, but good job to all three of you lol
One of the biggest problems I had with working with just me myself and I, was no one could remember who did what with the blanking drill......

/ Small Jib crane for firewood bundles....
Very nice! As long as the bottom "flange" of your built-up wooden I-beam is very well-secured to it's "web" you should easily be able to lift a 400 lb load. I hope you used lots of screws and and some good construction adhesive or strong glue to keep it attached under load.

The Web is 1-1/2" x 5" x8' red oak, plane, the flange on top 2> 1/2"x5"x8' yellow birch boards>glued together,<<and that is glued and screwed with 4> 3" Spax lags to the Web. Bottom flange is 2> 1/2"x5"x8' boards>> where the trolley rolls<< thats 1/2" red oak with 1/2" yellow birch glued and screwed together and that was glued screwed to the Web with 4>3" Spax lags spaced out. I'd call the flanges to be homemade plywood, sort of.....

I was picturing to make it strong enough to lift 2 people who weighed 200 lbs each, but mu slab bundles are no ware near that heavy just heavy enough so I cant lift them by hand, estimating bundles to be 100-200 lbs, size is 20" long 24"x24" ish. This weekend I'll try to sneak out the bathroom scales when the wife ain't looking, try to get more accurate weight number.