Small game explosion

/ Small game explosion #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
We live in extreme upstate NY,on the Canadian border..I don't know what is going on this year but the numbers of small game...cotton-tail rabbits,fox,raccoon even wood-chucks are in record numbers this year.The only thing that is down are the turkeys..I am sure the coons and fox are the culprits there.
For example on the fox ,if we saw one once or twice in the summer that would be normal...we are seeing multiple fox almost daily.No one traps or hunts for fur anymore.The fox sightings are not just at home everyone in the township are seeing them.
My biggest concern is an outbreak of rabies.
On another note,there is also an out-break of Lyme disease in the area,couple young children in the area one adult ...our vet has over 60 cases of Lyme disease in dogs.A friend of mine lost a wirehair to kidney failure from lyme...poor fellow ..his replacement pup now has it and is very ill.If anyone has bird dogs ,there is a vaccine available,A vet from Cornell has been up here and claims the dark skinned dogs are more likely to get infected.??

/ Small game explosion #2  
I have seen more deer here in SE Michigan during the daytime than in the last 20 years. Dusk, & dawn in the past - now at noon walking by the side of the road. Must have been a mild winter for them.

/ Small game explosion #3  
More Turkey, Rabbits and fewer Deer Here in central Ky this year. I think the Coyotes are making a comeback, Ken Sweet

/ Small game explosion #4  
Also seen small increase from mild winter,but the biggest increase of all are those darn nasty ticks. :(

/ Small game explosion #5  
Deer herd in Jackson County, MI way up, in SE MI as stated their everywhere, around here hawks and turkeys rule.

/ Small game explosion #6  
.If anyone has bird dogs ,there is a vaccine available,A vet from Cornell has been up here and claims the dark skinned dogs are more likely to get infected.??

From my understanding the vaccine may or MAY NOT do a thing. I talked with my vet about it, quite a bit, and it seems to be one of those pharmaceutical money makers......fear people into it?????? I'm not against trying to protect or fury family friends but I do get mad as _____ when money is the bigger issue then a TRUE cure :confused:

/ Small game explosion #7  
I think the grouse are doing okay this year. Couldn't have been many chicks lost to fowl (couldn't resist) weather this Spring.

We have tons of song birds this year. Ticks have gone down since Spring but the deer fly are thick as could be, worse than I have ever seen. I think that goes along with the mild weather. They came early and heavy.

Deer around but not many. Haven't seen a moose this year either. Sign here and there but not much.

Coyotes around but no more than usual.

Our weather pattern really hasn't changed since January when Winter just sort of quit. Hardly any snow or rain since and generally on the warm side of average.
Dave.

/ Small game explosion #8  
I noticed an increase in small game (woodchucks) explosions this year when I switched from .223 to .22-250. No more plop, plot, fizz, fizz...

/ Small game explosion #9  
Here in Iowa it is getting out of hand. We do not have the trappers like we used to, and to many club bought land for the hunting buddies are helping cause explosion in the deer population. They need to open up a bit on hunting regulations.

/ Small game explosion #10  
They are all running North to avoid the oil in the gulf. Didn't you guys hear about that?:confused2:

MarkV