Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #2  
This is called Tethered. simple. In the states and in your area, loggers are using this technology with different mfg. twists to fall timber on steep ground.
At the high point, ie, a hill top or ridge, there is another machine with a winch in its' belly. Most often it is an excavator or log loader with a set up that allows the operator to put its blade in the ground for further stability. So, if you will the upper machine is what we would call in the old days, a deadman, or anchor. The thing that is modern is the use of the machine with a winch and maybe inch and a half cable, all operated remotely, by the operator in the lower machine that is doing the work. You can google "tethered logging"

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #3  
Discovery channel has a series "Axemen" that features an out fit in the north Cascades that uses a tethered feller buncher on some really steep terrain. Sure reduces the breakage when cutting timber this way. Not sure I would be very comfortable operating one of those!

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #4  
You gotta have complete faith in the equipment.

On a much smaller scale, I've tethered myself with my buggy winch and went up some extremely steep obstacles. Usually 30ft high or so.

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #5  
Here's a small example that didn't require tether. Best I have saved on my phone....

IMG1586281617.jpg

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #6  
That's a SPECIAL undercarriage. The hydraulic ram tilt feature is unique, the rubber tires out back are od, but helpful when dragging all that stuff. The "tether" comments are just missing the unique nature of that machine. A cable can be run to just about anything with a winch. Keeping the operators station level takes some really special hardware.

I have no clue what that adaption is called.

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #7  
Check out some of the terraced farms in Europe.

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #8  
That's a SPECIAL undercarriage. The hydraulic ram tilt feature is unique, the rubber tires out back are od, but helpful when dragging all that stuff. The "tether" comments are just missing the unique nature of that machine. A cable can be run to just about anything with a winch. Keeping the operators station level takes some really special hardware.

I have no clue what that adaption is called.

Those aren't rubber tires out back. They are the winch drums, I think. Look at the last video. They are winches, and there are roller fairleads out front where the cables feed into and out of them as it makes that 90 degree turn before going up the hill.

/ Slope climbing excavators that use cables and winches #9  
I believe Pisten Bully started the usage of winches on steep slopes for grooming ski slopes...

In also looks like Pisten Bully is branching out into agriculture now, probably hoping to seel more machines since the skinning industry is slumping. Nice tractors for sure.