Slime in Utility Trailer tires?

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #1  

bnixon

Gold Member
Tractor
TC33D / 7308 ldr 60" HD bucket
I am looking at the possibility of putting some Slime in my trailer tires. It is a 20' 12,000lb utility trailer that is used regularly to pull my tractor around. Lots of highway miles!

I am forever picking up nails and such in the tires and am just plane getting tired of having to plug them. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I was wondering if Slime would have any ill affects on the road at high speeds "70 mph".

Anyone done this? Pros/Cons?

Thanks,

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #3  
it would work great. all that force pushes the slime into the whole.
just remember if you cannot patch a tire after it has slime in it ever. plus you will have to use a good amount, but you can buy it in gallon jugs for cheap.

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #4  
I see amounts listed for about any type of tire so I have to assume the manufacturer has found no problem with it. Personally, I can't see any problem with it except the possibility of it 'leaking down' to the bottom of the tires if you leave your trailer set for long periods of time.

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #5  
Does Slime (or anything else made for) work in tubes? Or is it just made for tubeless tires? I tend to run tubes in most of my 'extra' stuff.

--->Paul

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #6  
you can run it in tubes no problem. yes it will collect at the bottom of a tire if it sits, bu it evens out really quick except in winter it takes alittle longer

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #7  
Slime is made in two versions.........tube type and tubeless

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #8  
I know this isn't for a tractor but the last wheelbarrow tube I bought was pre- filled with Slime. It works O.K. so far.

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #9  
I bought a 16 oz bottle of slime and put it into my little craftsman dump cart. I read the instrctions and they did not recomment putting slime into all four tires of your vehicle.
[ I think they mean car or truck ] they said that it would throw off the ballance of the wheels. Maby it would make your trailer less stable to pull at freeway speed. They also cautioned about exceeding recommended freeway speeds. In my state the trailer towing speed is 55 mph. David /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Slime in Utility Trailer tires? #10  
I recently used slime in a front tire of my tractor (Ford 1910). It did a decent job of sealing the small air leaks around a patch, but I don't see it working for the claimed 1/4" "wound". Also, I had to patch another part of the tire after putting slime in and did it without a problem - maybe the tractor tires don't go fast enough to coat the complete tire????