Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal?

/ Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Is the $300 price difference for the 3501 offer an advantage?

Something in me wants the higher pull point option and the extra 1000# of pull, but ....Maybe those things are not needed.

Small lot, firewood haul out, a couple of low HP tractors to put it on. (cat1 and II)

/ Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal? #2  
Here is the Norse Dealer in you area...

Norse 3 Point Hitch Winches

I have the 350 model, which is $300 more than the 290. My drive shaft operates at a pretty steep angle and imagine the smaller winch would be even steeper. If you have a Cat II hitch, I am guessing you don't want the smaller unit.

/ Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal?
thanks for the comments on the drive line!

I've got Labonville, that will ship N/C, and there is a dealer upstate that sells Igland for about the same +/- state tax. not a long drive.
For my purposes, 85% of use would be with the 2500# Hurlimann, Cat I , and only the heavy lifting to be done with the 4000# Fordson Cat II.

Having two drive shafts might cut the Cat II use even further. I've got nothing but hills, so heavy straight line hauls is of no value.

/ Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal? #4  
Get the highest pulling power your tractor can handle...

I haven't looked at the two models you are asking about, but here's some things I WANT on a skidding winch.

Both, upper and lower blocks (pulleys) to pull from

Trailer hitch and if it's adjustable, that's a big plus

It MUST have an upper protective screen

Mine has two loops for chainsaws, I'd want AT LEAST one!

Some place to hang/put skidding chains on the winch

Be able to run the winch from either side AND while on the tractor

These are features that are important to me, after using skidding winches for quite a while now...

SR

/ Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal? #5  
Get the highest pulling power your tractor can handle...

I haven't looked at the two models you are asking about, but here's some things I WANT on a skidding winch.

Both, upper and lower blocks (pulleys) to pull from

Trailer hitch and if it's adjustable, that's a big plus

It MUST have an upper protective screen

Mine has two loops for chainsaws, I'd want AT LEAST one!

Some place to hang/put skidding chains on the winch

Be able to run the winch from either side AND while on the tractor

These are features that are important to me, after using skidding winches for quite a while now...

SR

Your dead on in your list, but I'll add two more and don't understand one, I need/want the highest off the ground when the winch is up, mine is a full 16" off the ground, I need/want flat edge on the bottom for back-dragging and at times to even up the tree buts.

What is two loops for chainsaws?

Your dead on in your list, but I'll add two more and don't understand one, I need/want the highest off the ground when the winch is up, mine is a full 16" off the ground, I need/want flat edge on the bottom for back-dragging and at times to even up the tree buts.

Well, the 3501 has the two pull positions, (A high pulley can be added to the 3001 but I have not seen it offered as a factory made accessory)
The 3501 has a swinging base. A feature that aids clearance.
The saw scabboards and chain hooks, I can add to any unit.
It sounds like the 3501 is worth the few extra dollars.

/ Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal? #7  
"Loops" are metal loops that will hold chainsaws...

standard.jpg

I NEVER buy new tools, to have to "finish" building them. At least not when there's already brands on the market that have the right features in the first place...

In the pict., I have the winch about 1/3 as high as it will go with the three point all the way up...

SR

"Loops" are metal loops that will hold chainsaws...

standard.jpg

I NEVER buy new tools, to have to "finish" building them. At least not when there's already brands on the market that have the right features in the first place...

In the pict., I have the winch about 1/3 as high as it will go with the three point all the way up...

SR

Would you pay $2000 "extra for those saw loops? Seems a bit snobbish ;-)

My self, I enjoy personalizing my equipment. I look at things as "kits" to be assembled, manipulated and used in the way I see fit. 'Can't stand "out of the box,and it's done" answers for much of anything.

/ Skiding winch pros and cons? Igland 3001 vs 3501 or the Norse equal? #9  
NO I wouldn't, but is a comparable "other" brand winch REALLY 2K more??? I bet not!

SR

Well, just a quick pah...ruse of the net, It doesn't look like saw loops come on the Wally until you get up to the FX110
That's a spendy piece compared to the units identified in the original post. ($3900 + shipping) Norse 3501 type at $2500 freight paid)

I can't say I'm in need of that large a unit. I'm sure it's fine for applications that an take advantage of the capacity.
Saw loops aren't a must have for me.