skid steers

/ skid steers #1  

6thgpSF

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1610d bobcat 863 Gh 928d
I'm saving up for a used skid steer,the problem I'm having is trying to decipher all the model numbers and weather it's gas or diesel[prefer diesel]does anyone know of a reference book I could buy?I've tried TSC,B.N. even went to our local Farm show but they only had new stuff.I check C.L. every day but get lost w/the models #s any help is appreciated...russ

/ skid steers #2  
When you find one your interested in go to Tractor Data and get the details on it.

Others on here may know them by heart.

/ skid steers #3  
What I do when researching something like that is have another tab with Google open, then highlight and copy-paste the make and model info into that. Most times you'll get a wiki page or a manufactures site that has the data that you're looking for. Also, the skidsteer forum might be of help. Most user unfriendly piece of software I've encountered, but the info in the posts is good.

/ skid steers #4  
Search for Machinery Trader online, same folks as Tractorhouse. Both are a great resources for comparisons and usually list HP, weight, fuel, ect.

It's also great for getting an idea of what may be below / normal / above average as far as price, hours, condition, ect.

Last edited:
   / skid steers #5  
If you get an old Bobcat make sure it has the Kubota diesel. The others were harder to start. Ed

/ skid steers #6  
I'm saving up for a used skid steer,the problem I'm having is trying to decipher all the model numbers and weather it's gas or diesel[prefer diesel]does anyone know of a reference book I could buy?I've tried TSC,B.N. even went to our local Farm show but they only had new stuff.I check C.L. every day but get lost w/the models #s any help is appreciated...russ

What I do when researching something like that is have another tab with Google open, then highlight and copy-paste the make and model info into that. Most times you'll get a wiki page or a manufactures site that has the data that you're looking for. Also, the skidsteer forum might be of help. Most user unfriendly piece of software I've encountered, but the info in the posts is good.
I agree, Also, Google Image search is better than a reference book. :2cents:

/ skid steers #7  
One thing I always try which takes advantage of Google's auto-complete feature is to type in the name of what I'm looking at and then type "vs". For example, if I was researching chainsaws, I might type in "ms362 vs" and auto-fill brings up 441, 562xp, and 391 as models I might be comparing to. Works for equipment too.

/ skid steers
thanks for the replies,will do my homework.russ