Skid plate for GC series tractors

/ Skid plate for GC series tractors #51  
I was thinking more unibody skid plate like the picture.

Maybe use some 2" L channel on the topside of the plating to firm it up with some 1/8" diamond plate. Part of the skid plate would use a front plate at 45° to protect the front steering pistons. IMG_20191020_200000.jpg

/ Skid plate for GC series tractors #52  
I will see what’s on the scrap shelf when I am there.

/ Skid plate for GC series tractors #53  
I think once I get the main plate done to where it hooks up then I can look more closely at clearances and go from there with tweaking and what not, going to try to get to the metal shop today but I have not had a good night so I might not get out today.
Probably pick up some channel and square tubing to have on hand, once I get to the metal shop I am sure I will add some odd and end pieces from their scrap shelf.

Need to do this as my heath allows, again some days are better then others.

/ Skid plate for GC series tractors
I made this up real quick just to have something to look at, I think it will work with a bit of cleaning up but it is basically the top middle of the mower deck and will have double tabs in back like the deck has for the raise and lower function and I do not want any crap about my drawing being I am not a artist or engineer, I just know what I am trying to accomplish and that is all that matters, here is my kindergarten drawing.

Ok, so you're looking to use the mower deck's front bracket, I gotcha. So literally just a swap, the skid plate instead of the deck. Not bad, not bad.

Now that I know how to use the HST, throttle, 3 point and FEL the proper way I like my 1705 it has surprisingly done some stuff I never thought it could do and I am still learning.

Yesterday I helped out my neighbor, I dug out a ginormous ditch for them to get to a broken field drain tile that was just gushing water. His worker was trying all day the previous day to get at it with a shovel, yeh good luck with that. Anyways, it was a messy job and a half, and that backhoe saw some work boy! It was fun and we got er done, pretty cool.

You guys are gonna make fun of me, but here's my thought on the skid plate... I have this lawn sweeper thing I tow behind the garden tractor to pick up sticks, acorns or whatever, usually I use it after last mowing in fall and before first mowing in spring. Sometimes sharp stuff gets tossed in there, too. Anyways, the bottom of this thing is just hard plastic, that's it, not reinforced with steel or anything, and it's seem adequate enough. Sooooo, is it so wrong to just find a sheet of thick plastic, cut some slits in few places, and just zip-tie that sucker up under the tractor?

/ Skid plate for GC series tractors #57  
I'd love to see that, can you post a pic?

Sorry for the delay. It's pretty simple and I remove it in the winter to hook up the front driveshaft for a snowblower. Have to also remove it for changing the filter but it's only 4 bolts. I made it out of a scrap of steel of unknown parentage that I had laying around. Lots of big rocks around here and it held up real well. I bent it by heating the bends with a rosebud torch until it bent fairly easily. I don't use a mower. The skid plate cuts down the ground clearance under the rear differential by maybe an inch and so far hasn't been an issue.

Skid Plate LR.jpg

Attachments

• Skid Plate.jpg
    Skid Plate.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 97
   / Skid plate for GC series tractors #58  
Sorry for the delay. It's pretty simple and I remove it in the winter to hook up the front driveshaft for a snowblower. Have to also remove it for changing the filter but it's only 4 bolts. I made it out of a scrap of steel of unknown parentage that I had laying around. Lots of big rocks around here and it held up real well. I bent it by heating the bends with a rosebud torch until it bent fairly easily. I don't use a mower. The skid plate cuts down the ground clearance under the rear differential by maybe an inch and so far hasn't been an issue.

View attachment 625482

Thanks for the pic, definitely doable for sure. I will keep a pic of it in my album.

/ Skid plate for GC series tractors #59  
You guys are gonna make fun of me, but here's my thought on the skid plate... I have this lawn sweeper thing I tow behind the garden tractor to pick up sticks, acorns or whatever, usually I use it after last mowing in fall and before first mowing in spring. Sometimes sharp stuff gets tossed in there, too. Anyways, the bottom of this thing is just hard plastic, that's it, not reinforced with steel or anything, and it's seem adequate enough. Sooooo, is it so wrong to just find a sheet of thick plastic, cut some slits in few places, and just zip-tie that sucker up under the tractor?

No laughing here, that is not a bad idea if you are just trying to keep twigs and stuff like that out of the fan and whatnot.

/ Skid plate for GC series tractors #60  
Ok, so you're looking to use the mower deck's front bracket, I gotcha. So literally just a swap, the skid plate instead of the deck. Not bad, not bad.

You got it, just like a deck, it has been a crappy day here with high winds and rain so I did not get to town but my wheels showed up for my MMM dolly and again to crappy outside to open the garage/shop door and lift the mower deck up to fit the axles, the wind and rain are blowing right at the door.

0ADA4AD7-F22D-4494-BCBC-31B96DC5DD6C.jpg