Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065

/ Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065 #1  

BlessedMess

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
After cutting about 20 +/- acres with my father in-law's "seasoned" 6' brush cutter, I'm ready to make a purchase. The tractor, BTW, handled his cutter and mixed terrain pastures very well, and the 16x16 PS transmission made it easy to find a comfortable speed and make directional changes. Background: A local vendor/manufacturer has medium and heavy duty cutters in 6-7-8' widths, plus dual spindle 8' & 10' cutters that can handle 1.5 - 2" diameter brush. They also either manf. or distribute flail mowers, however I'm not sure yet what size or configuration knives (hammer or T) or cost. Also shopping (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) and agrisupply.com for flail mowers.

Option #1: Brush Cutter -- I kept thinking how nice it would be to have a wider cutter, but the local vendor thinks their HD 7' cutter (~$2.2k) would be too heavy for a XU5065 in terms of lightening the front end when encountering things like ditches and steep grades. They think their medium duty 7' ($1.9k) would be fine weight wise, but if I'm giving up the HD capacity, might as well consider options like the more compact dual spindle ($$) and flail mowers. Can't justify the expense of a 12' bat wing mower, but that would be nice.

Option #2: Flail Mower -- I like the idea of the flail the most... more compact, lighter, safer in some regards (won't shoot out rocks and debris, knives can deflect over uncuttable objects). Most of all I like the beautiful cut that mulches and minimizes windrowing. Also knives can be replaced individually rather easily & inexpensively. However flails are a bit or a lot more expensive vs. comparable width rotary cutters depending on the manufacturer, can't handle large diameter brush, and since they are so compact I'd lose some ability to back under low hanging limbs and into other tight spots.

Any recommendations or experience with this size and/or model tractor?

Attachments

• image-4124500536.jpg
    image-4124500536.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2635612073.jpg
    image-2635612073.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 147
   / Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065 #2  
Blessed,

I am currently also using a 6' Rhino 172 on the P7010C. The P7010C plays with it like a kitten and a mouse. Sometimes I even run it in 750 PTO mode and about 1400-1500 rpm. If you remember we were shopping for a tractor around the same time and the XU5065CPS was on my radar. I had planned on getting an 8' twin spindle mounted mower with either tractor.

Option #1; 8' will cover wheel tracks, and cover 2 more feet. So every 3 passes you gain a whole round with the 6'. You don't really want a 7' single spindle. They are extremely tail heavy and LONG. 8' you gain a foot, but lose some backing under tree depth. Not to mention keeps tractor further away when edging. (I have found bushes, limbs, and vines with re-aim your lights, re-position your mirrors, and remove your antenna not once, but twice!) I have found several for less than $4k. (Howse, Kodiak, TRI, maybe Moderrn Ag) Many tractors that can handle a 6' can handle an 8' twin but struggle with a 7' single. I'm glad I did not buy one.

Option #2: I have a used Mott/Alamo Super Heavy Duty (think highway department) 88" (7' 4") flail... I don't really use it much. It does cut a little better, but cannot back into any places at all. It literally is just beyond the drawbar. It has not replaced the bush hog yet even though it is 1'-4" wider. Partly due to I need to replace a bearing on the tail roller... Partly because I haven't warmed up to it as well as the bush hog. They are expensive up front. I got mine basically free. The blades, pins, shackles, ect are cheap individually. But has +/- 100 blades, $$$ to go through it completely, the blades are reversible, but a PITA to flip them all. Finish blades take less power than that the rough cut blades (which I have on mine.) Rough cut still makes a nice finish. They run $2k-$4k used.

Alamo Industrial: Products - Flail Mowers > Super Heavy Duty Flail

CT

Last edited:
   / Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065 #3  
Are you planing on mowing any brush? I th ink a flail mower would not handle that at all even though I have never owned one. I agree with going to a 8 foot twin spindle vs a 7'single. As long as you have ato east 5hp/ft you should be fine.

/ Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065 #4  
Blessed has enough. He has 10.68' worth of PTO hp (53.4) :cool2:

Forgot to add that in my post. I had looked up the XU5065 specs and calculated... Just did not add it in.

An 8' twin would fit the hp requirements perfect with some to spare and should be easy to handle.

CT

/ Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065 #5  
Sounds good to me, I know there are some guys running bigger bat wings with low hp machines, but I'm right at around 7hp/ft and at times I wish I had more power. Mx10 and 69 pto hp. It's rated for 2" stuff iirc.

/ Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065
Thanks, CT, for answering my specific questions and sharing your experiences. Man, that 540-750-1000 RPM PTO sounds nice. Wish I could demo one of each to get a feel, but you gave me some things to think about. Went and looked at 7' single and 10' dual spindle brush cutters again today (8' dual out of stock)... that 10' cutter would expedite things a LOT, however at $4.1k it is more than the cost of the 7' medium duty single spindle cutter and 6' tiller combined. You're right... 7' single cutter is long indeed for good or bad. The vendor I like doesn't sell many flails, so I'd have to shop online. I like the price and reviews of this model flail: Flail Mower, Caroni, Rear Flail Mower | Agri Supply, 30837, TM1900 as I suspect the Alamo (like most others) would be $4k+ new.

RNR: I plan to borrow or rent a 6' HD cutter for thick brush, and mainly use my mower for keeping pastures groomed and controlling weeds. Some areas may be used for business purposes near residences, hence the desire to keep it looking neat and ensuring rocks and hidden debris aren't ejected at high speeds.

Another benefit of a flail -- chopping down and mulching in place corn, wheat and oat stalks. This would be on a small scale (100 x 40' plots), but think a flail might do better than the brush cutter on this material?

/ Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065 #7  
Hey it was just a thought! I know a flail wouldn't serve my needs entirely so I figured I would mention. It. I haven't ever chopped up corn stalks so I'm no help there. I have leveled out quite a few gopher holes though!

/ Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065
It was a good thought, thanks for mentioning it. Didn't level any gopher holes, but got a big snake!

/ Sizing a Brush Cutter/Flail Mower for XU5065 #9  
It was a good thought, thanks for mentioning it. Didn't level any gopher holes, but got a big snake!

I hear they taste like chicken !?:licking: