Single swing drive gate

/ Single swing drive gate #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I’m thinking of adding a single swing operated gate at the end of my drive. The gate would be 650’ from power so I’m thinking Solar. I salvaged a “gate” from a school project so that part is determined. It’s a single arm pipe gate that’s 17’ long. It’s one long pipe rail top with a diagonal pipe support.

I’m guessing 200 to 250 lbs but little wind resistance.

Any suggestions on what solar operator would be best?

5EAF6C69-1814-463B-9933-5EEBA2DA3929.jpeg

/ Single swing drive gate #2  
I have had several sets of mighty mule ones, they are pretty crummy but will work for a few years before they bite the dust.

Liftmasters are a lot better and is reflected in their prose as well.

/ Single swing drive gate #3  
I think you need to look at the number of cycles (opening and closing) the gate will be doing per day. For the price a Mighty Mule may last many years with little use and a battery or two. We went from a similar gate on solar (better opener) with 10 homes using it and had to bite the bullet and connect to power. Too many cycles per day for a solar system especially with our cloudy falls and winters here.

/ Single swing drive gate #4  
I have had several sets of mighty mule ones, they are pretty crummy but will work for a few years before they bite the dust.

Liftmasters are a lot better and is reflected in their prose as well.

Are they that good at poetry? Who wants their gate citing Shakespeare? Et tú Brute?

/ Single swing drive gate #5  
I never used a DIY opener but had enough issues with two dealer installed systems that I was glad I could just call them- nearby lightning strike, snake shorting out the control box circuits, condensation rusting the roller chain... There's a lot to go wrong.

If I were going solar though, I'd put some thought in the gate bearings. Rusty shaft in a rusty hole is sure to burn more juice. And an out-of-plumb pivot axis.

edit: fried snake-
IMG_0461.png

Last edited:
   / Single swing drive gate #6  
I'd mount the gate on a sturdypost at just enough of an angle so that its lean would make it self-closing, and them open/close it with a cheap reversible 12 volt winch and steel cable from somewhere like Harbor Freight. Have a three way toggle switch with "spring loaded center off" position on a each post to actuate the motor for entering and leaving.

A 12 volt car battery will open and close that winch motor dozens of times. A single solar panel should be fine for keeping it charged. Get a solar panel that outputs about 13 to 17 VDC and mount it close (within six or ten feet) to the battery using #8 standed copper wire - or bigger if you have it. Stranded copper is best. With that rig you can avoid needing a charge controller.... although they are good to have and all you need is a cheap one.

The main thing is to use heavy stranded wire everywhere you run your 12 volts and get a toggle switch that will handle the load. Sporting good stores that sell boat & marine supplies or bass fishing trolling motors have all the right switches.
rScotty

/ Single swing drive gate #7  
I'd mount the gate on a sturdypost at just enough of an angle so that its lean would make it self-closing, and them open/close it with a cheap reversible 12 volt winch and steel cable from somewhere like Harbor Freight. Have a three way toggle switch with "spring loaded center off" position on a each post to actuate the motor for entering and leaving.

A 12 volt car battery will open and close that winch motor dozens of times. A single solar panel should be fine for keeping it charged. Get a solar panel that outputs about 13 to 17 VDC and mount it close (within six or ten feet) to the battery using #8 standed copper wire - or bigger if you have it. Stranded copper is best. With that rig you can avoid needing a charge controller.... although they are good to have and all you need is a cheap one.

The main thing is to use heavy stranded wire everywhere you run your 12 volts and get a toggle switch that will handle the load. Sporting good stores that sell boat & marine supplies or bass fishing trolling motors have all the right switches.
rScotty

rScotty, you should take this concept one step further and devise a winch based solution that eliminates the pipe gate altogether. (Yeah, I know, OP is already halfway down his path)

As a barrier, the winch simply stretches the cable between the posts. To pass, the winch slackens the cable enough to drive over it. (The pass mode might require some tension springs or weights to get the full gate width of the cable down on the ground without a bird's nest.)

/ Single swing drive gate #8  
rScotty, you should take this concept one step further and devise a winch based solution that eliminates the pipe gate altogether. (Yeah, I know, OP is already halfway down his path)

As a barrier, the winch simply stretches the cable between the posts. To pass, the winch slackens the cable enough to drive over it. (The pass mode might require some tension springs or weights to get the full gate width of the cable down on the ground without a bird's nest.)
Good idea... I love a minimalist solution. Although a gate is nicely visible. And I've noticed our neighbor's gate with some hog wire does keep his dogs in.
Probably ought to put some flags on it if just using a cable.

/ Single swing drive gate #9  
We have USAutomatic Patriot openers on our gates. So far, they have been trouble free, sometimes cycling 10-12 times a day. Before and after painting. The solar panel is mounted off to the right.

Full disclosure, they are not low cost. But they were half the cost of the Liftmaster system the installer quoted.

High Quality Automatic Solar Gate Openers & Accessories

20230222_154427.jpg

20230425_090016.jpg