Simple Slope Mower

/ Simple Slope Mower #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I am going to buy a newer house on 1+ acres of grass.

There is a small area on my side yard (1/8 to 1/4 acre) with a steep angle sloping into a pond.

My current ztr does not have a chance to mow on this slope without fear of ending up in the pond.

Riders with dual tires front and back can cost as much as a car.

My health is failing, so I did not want to push a lawn mower.

What do you recommend? Thinking of a battery-powered robot mower.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Simple Slope Mower #2  
From what I've seen on you tube, the remote control mowers excel on steep slopes.
I think there will be a learning curve for both battery and machine maintenance.

/ Simple Slope Mower #3  

There is a small area on my side yard (1/8 to 1/4 acre) with a steep angle sloping into a pond.

My current ztr does not have a chance to mow on this slope without fear of ending up in the pond.

TIA

Yooper Dave
Have you considered planting something that doesn't require mowing? It might be easier and cheaper in the long run.

/ Simple Slope Mower #4  

TIA

Yooper Dave
I have had similar problems for over 30 years. Since you haven't bought the house yet, I recommend you look for one with a flat yard.

/ Simple Slope Mower #5  
   / Simple Slope Mower #6  
Is it too steep for a steering wheel zero turn like the Cub Cadet ZTS-1?

/ Simple Slope Mower
The Cub is a nice-looking mower. They specify a maximum slope angle of 20 degrees. My slope may exceed 30 degrees. Thanks!

Yooper Dave

/ Simple Slope Mower #8  
There's a guy on YT who is confined to a wheelchair. He converted a gas mower into a radio controlled mower and put up a detailed parts description of how he did the conversion using two wheelchair motors. It wasn't crazy expensive.

/ Simple Slope Mower #9  

TIA

Yooper Dave
I have exactly the same scenerio. String trimmer does the job real nice - but that's proven to be this old body simply too much. I had a $3K 27hp Husqvarna tractor type mower that could handle the steep slope, that is, until it finally blew up the pinion gear. (Of course, not replacement parts available for that.)

I bought a $7K Kubota ZTR with a 26hp motor thinking that would work fine. Nope - much to unstable and much too few horses for such a heavy ZTR. I'm now at the point that I've reconcilled to the fact that that slope on the dam bank really needs to be left alone. Let the weeds do their thing. Beside, that should help with controlling errosion.

There were weeds there before I came and there will be weeds long after I'm gone. Life is too short to worry about the 'little things'. Now I only mow the 'important' lawn areas and let nature do it's thing.