Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
When we built our house we figured we'd do the sidewalk "later". This month we have been in the house for 25 years. How's that for "later"? With the layout, anyone who comes in the driveway arrives at the door to our family room and can see us through the bay window. Over the years we joked that we could have saved money during construction be eliminating the front door - nobody ever uses it anyway.

Last year Wifey said we really ought to do a front sidewalk to make the place more marketable. That way when we go to meet our Maker the kids will have an easier time selling the place. Well, we certainly wouldn't want to inconvenience the kids, would we? Toward the end of Summer 2013 we spent the good weather figuring where to make up the 11" difference in elevation between the two ends, deciding on brick / stamped concrete / whatever. Then we had to paint outlines here, then there, then here again with curves, angles, etc. Since I said anything other than straight forward broom finished concrete would need to be done by a contractor, the design team figured that would be the desired finish.

With Wifey's approval of the shape and location I started digging - mostly by hand - several weeks ago. This past Friday at 2:00 PM 5 yards of 3500# full air concrete came. Poured the walk, a base for the light pole and a couple new slabs at the side porch. Thank goodness a bud from work wanted to help as a pay-back for my assistance with his concrete project last year. Also my one brother-in-law wanted to make sure the project wouldn't do me in and ruin the mood at the annual Labor Day cookout. The concrete set up super quick and we were lucky to get the broom finish. I rolled sealer on later Friday and then cut expansion joints and stripped the forms on Saturday. Time out for the picnic Sunday evening. Yesterday was a time of dirtwork. The end near the light pole needed about a foot of fill.

Still have to spread some topsoil and seed, but we're so near done I can start thinking about working on a snowblower.

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    986.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 223
   / Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #2  
Very nice.

I'd say 25 years is professional grade project delay. :laughing:

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #3  
Ummm, it's crooked! :laughing:

Just kidding...looks great! Great job!

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #4  
Looks great is it a solar powered light? (the large one I saw northern tool had a few)?

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years
Looks great is it a solar powered light? (the large one I saw northern tool had a few)?

Thanks. The light is 120 volt LED that we bought last year at Costco. It is about 9' tall and does a great job. I buried a PVC pipe for getting power to it. Until I pick up some UF wire, it's on an orange cord / GFI.

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #6  
Good job. It's funny, I've had two potential clients come to me this year about the same thing. One has been three years since finishing their house without a walkway to the front door, the other is closer to ten years.

Eddie

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #8  
We have gone 10 years. Just talked about raiding the stone walls out back and making a walk. We are thinking of selling in a few years. We live about 1/2 mile from the farm now and we want to build right on it to be next to dad and to make our new house as maintenance free as possible.

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #9  
Looks great. Your wife is very forgiving. I got grief when I waited 2 months to do our front walk!

/ Sidewalk follwed house by 25 years #10  
I find that I like curved walkways most of the time, and that one looks great with your house/sideslope :thumbsup: .

It's also good to see that I'm not the only one with well-aged RoundTuIt projects :rolleyes:.

Rgds, D.