Side jobs with your tractor

/ Side jobs with your tractor #1  

Aquamoose

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I’m thinking of starting a side business with my tractor, tree puller, grapple, back hoe, and PTO chipper. I do have a truck & trailer. Has anybody done anything like this and any tips/suggestions?

/ Side jobs with your tractor #2  
Yes I have and still do some, get your mind right and remember didn't anybody give you your equipment and you have to pay for the repairs. that being said I do help my neighbors without charging and some of them insist on covering my fuel or trade services you know the way friends and neighbors do.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #3  
If you plan on working above board get a quote on commercial insurance and licensing if you want some deterrents. Woody has excellent advice.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #4  
I help my friends and neighbors for free anytime they ask me. They return the favor also.

That being said, if I was going to do it for hire, I would NOT give my time away. Also if I was going to do it for hire, and advertise, put up signs, etc, I would make sure I was fully legit, insurance, license, etc. All it takes is one accident, or "unhappy" customer to report you and it all comes to a stop, fines, etc.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #5  
I help my friends and neighbors for free anytime they ask me. They return the favor also.

That being said, if I was going to do it for hire, I would NOT give my time away. Also if I was going to do it for hire, and advertise, put up signs, etc, I would make sure I was fully legit, insurance, license, etc. All it takes is one accident, or "unhappy" customer to report you and it all comes to a stop, fines, etc.

You are absolutely spot on. The days of “just doing a few side jobs” for a little cash is like playing Russian Roulette.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #6  
I did some bush hogging for realtors for awhile, but it was always last minute type jobs that I really didn't care to do, and it seemed that they always wanted more then they where willing to pay for. Then it was weeks until I would get paid because it was all done through the realtors trying to sell the property. The pay was good, but you can only work so many hours in a day, and I decided that if I wanted to work 12 hour days, I would be better off putting them into my day to day job.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #7  
I did some bush hogging for realtors for awhile, but it was always last minute type jobs that I really didn't care to do, and it seemed that they always wanted more then they where willing to pay for. Then it was weeks until I would get paid because it was all done through the realtors trying to sell the property. The pay was good, but you can only work so many hours in a day, and I decided that if I wanted to work 12 hour days, I would be better off putting them into my day to day job.

How true Eddie, do what you do best . . .the day of a side gig is over with all the sue happy people, and most want more than what it is worth.

Last edited:
   / Side jobs with your tractor #8  
Set a hourly price and a minimum right off the bat. No point in traveling 1hr each way for 1hrs work.

I have a mini excavator and thats how i do it. Hourly price and a minimum. The further away the hourly price raises. This is how i get away from traveling 1hr just to do a quote. I have them send me pictures. Also gets me out of digging a hole for someones mail box.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #9  
Landscaper insurance here in Colorado for me is around $900 a year these days. Anything involving digging is over $8,000 a year. Be careful as to what they define as digging too. I'm fine for post holes & fencing or putting in sprinkler systems, but not grading or trenching for anything else.

/ Side jobs with your tractor #10  
A friend got into the side job business with his new tractor, truck, trailer, implements etc, etc. It lasted a year - he found this to be true - - he was always bone tired - after a year his equipment looked to be five years old - he had worked his hinney off and had very little to show for it. Folks seem to always expected him to do more than they wanted to pay for. He got tired of arguing over price.

His happiest day was when he told his wife - "I've had enough of this stuff - I quit".