Sicklebar mowers

/ Sicklebar mowers #1  

Skeeder1964

I found a New Idea sicklebar mower for $400. looks like in good shape. Not sure what brand to buy, for 3pt. hitch. I have a 600 Ford and a 2110, 4 wheel drive Ford. I see 3pt. ford sicklebar mowers like the 501, 505 and the 515. There are so many which one is the best? I like the New Idea because there is no pitman arm to break, just has the belt that drives the bar. Would like some input, what do you guys think? Thanks. The New Idea came off a Ford 8N so it will hook right up to my 600.

/ Sicklebar mowers #2  
I can say that I am pretty sure the New Idea beltdrive mower may be the same as a 1300 International or a 505 Ford. If it looks like the one below that is what it is and you ought to grab it fast, provided, the driive head in in good shape? Ken Sweet

Attachments

• international1300mowerscottsvilleptoshield.jpg
    international1300mowerscottsvilleptoshield.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 227
   / Sicklebar mowers #3  
I found a New Idea sicklebar mower for $400. looks like in good shape. Not sure what brand to buy, for 3pt. hitch. I have a 600 Ford and a 2110, 4 wheel drive Ford. I see 3pt. ford sicklebar mowers like the 501, 505 and the 515. There are so many which one is the best? I like the New Idea because there is no pitman arm to break, just has the belt that drives the bar. Would like some input, what do you guys think? Thanks. The New Idea came off a Ford 8N so it will hook right up to my 600.

My old MF31 7-ft sicklebar cost me $550 at auction last year. It's belt drive and works OK.

DSCF0049 (Small).JPG DSCF0050 (Small).JPG DSCF0057 (Small).JPG

Put about $150 in new parts (sickle sections, guards/ledger plates, new 1/4" x 3/4" x 84" L steel bar carrying the sickle sections--it was bent too badly to salvage).

I've rebuilt that sicklebar twice and am still not satisfied with the cut and with the jamming. So next year I plan to go with a drum mower.

/ Sicklebar mowers #4  
My old MF31 7-ft sicklebar cost me $550 at auction last year. It's belt drive and works OK.

View attachment 168944 View attachment 168945 View attachment 168946

Put about $150 in new parts (sickle sections, guards/ledger plates, new 1/4" x 3/4" x 84" L steel bar carrying the sickle sections--it was bent too badly to salvage).

I've rebuilt that sicklebar twice and am still not satisfied with the cut and with the jamming. So next year I plan to go with a drum mower.

That is a nice mower, If we were closer, I would be interested in it. Ken Sweet

/ Sicklebar mowers
Doesn't really look like that one, I have a pic of it. If i can figure out how to upload it on here. Frame work is different. I don't think it folds flat like that one. There is a rope holding it up and locks straight up the way that one of yours folds. If you can understand what I mean./

/ Sicklebar mowers #6  
Doesn't really look like that one, I have a pic of it. If i can figure out how to upload it on here. Frame work is different. I don't think it folds flat like that one. There is a rope holding it up and locks straight up the way that one of yours folds. If you can understand what I mean./

Yes, a picture would be good. Ken Sweet

/ Sicklebar mowers #7  
I have a Farmtrac 27hp tractor. Is it big enough for a Ford 501 mower?
Bill

/ Sicklebar mowers #9  
...I have a pic of it. If i can figure out how to upload it on here..../
When you post, scroll down a little more, Below the submit / preview buttons... You find a Manage Attachment button, click on that and find the photo file on your computer using the browse button... if you need more help, just ask :D