Sickle Bar sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #1  

HillbillyFarmer

Silver Member
Any input would be appreciated.

One of my neighbors tells me if I have none of the above, I need to buy a sickle bar mower first as it mows hay and is good for trimming.
Another tells me forget it, buy a disk. Less hassle and just as flexible.
Another tells me if I don't buy a drum, I'm wasting my money cuz I'll get one eventually.

I'm leaning toward the disk.

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #2  
I'll take a stab.

Sickle is mainly for hay, it'll cut like scissors and leave the grass on top. No mulching effect so I don't think it's good for a yard and such.

Disk - A Rotary or bush hog? Best all around

Drum - guessing a flail? Like these but not good for heavy heavy stuff.

Probably go for the disk mower. IMO it is the best all around.

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #3  
In the way you are using these terms, _all_ of them are for making hay. Not for mowing lawns. Big difference....

A sickle mower is easy to find for under $500 in good used condition, works well for making less than 20 acres of grass bales.

A drum mower is typically smaller & cheaper new machine that cuts any type of hay in most any conditions at fast speeds. If you need to cut in rain & dew & such to make your hay, or tough clover/ junky things to cut, this will do better/faster.

A disc mower costs more, can be wider, takes more hp, for serious hay making. Similar to a drum mower in how it cuts.

If you are just mowing grass & pasture with cowpies, shrubs, and so forth to keep growth down, _not making hay_ then a rotory brush hog type of mower is the thing for you _most_ of the time. Cheaper than the other 2 above, does your rough cutting.

A rotory finish mower is lighter weight, makes a lawn-like finish, but wrecks on rocks, stumps, doesn't handle tall grass well, etc.

The sickle mower will trim out pastures, along water, etc. However they are kinda fussy machines, they will bunch up on alreadycut grass, wet stuff, short stuff, or very fine grasses.

So, what is it you are wishing to do? Each has it's place.

--->Paul

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #4  
We sell more disc mowers to the professional Farmer and you will need 1 hydraulic line to operate those. The drum mower is fine for hay and does not require remote hydraulic and is less expensive than a disc mower. The sickle mower is less expensive than Disc or Drum mower and good for most hay cutting (just a little slower) and does not need any remote hydraulic to operate. Click HERE to see New disc mowers and Drum mowers and also new and Used sickle mowers--Ken Sweet

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #5  
HillbillyFarmer,
Why don't you stop by J E Stephens, 304-372-5200, there in Cottageville, WV. Ask for Aaron Stephens. They sell the CCM drum mowers that are the #1 sold drum mower in the USA.
165%20DRUM%20MOWER.JPG

If it's a disc mower you want you need to look at the HayMAXX disc mowers designed and made here in the USA.

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers
My needs are all about hay. I've got a brush hog for the pastures.

I deal with Stevens, CCI.
They are a great company.
If I buy new, it will be from them.

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #7  
My haying experience involved 7' sicklemowers and hayconditioners. Later it evolved into a 9' New Holland Haybine. When the weather cooperated we could cut in the morning of the first day and bale in the afternoon of the second day. We did over 100 acres a year that way for years. Sold a lot of the hay to horse people so it had to be good. No mold or the horses get sick. Cows are not as fussy. What is the advantage of the drum and disc mowers over a haybine style cutter? Are they a better alternative for certain hay crops or just cheaper than a haybine while still doing a fair job? Just asking. I don't know of anyone using discs or drums in my part of Michigan.

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #8  
Hillbilly Farmer,
If its all about hay buy the diskbine. You will not regret it.

Toolguy,

The diskbine will handle much more hay at a faster rate. I do not know about drum style cutters.

Ron

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #9  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( My needs are all about hay. I've got a brush hog for the pastures.

If I buy new, it will be from them. )</font>

Well so much for my first response, around here it's a sickle or Kuhn type cutter(high speed blades). Sickles seem prone to shaking themselves to death. The Kuhn cutters are nice and fast in bermuda. Slower in bahaya.

Kuhn type...

Kuhn%20Mowers.JPG

/ sickle vs. disk vs. drum mowers #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My needs are all about hay. I've got a brush hog for the pastures.

If I buy new, it will be from them. )</font>

In my part of the world, sickle mowers have mowed zillions of acres of hay. For alfalfa, a machine with a crimper is _much_ better, be it haybine or discbine.

Folks are buying a lot of disc mowers, which cost more but cut through anything, over a sickle mower these days.

Never heard of a drum mower until I came to this site, never have seen one in person.

It depends how many acres you are looking at doing, I guess, and if crimping is important to you.

--->Paul