sickle mower

/ sickle mower #1  

Rc4510

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ls xr4046 with cab
might try and get a old NEW IDEA sickle mower up and going.trailer type thats 7'.what do these use for shear bolt or do i need to buy pto slip clutch .I am hoping to not have to spend a bunch to get it running but its missing fair amount parts.thanks

/ sickle mower #2  
The belt will slip, so it doesn't need either...

SR

/ sickle mower #4  
Then you will have to be VERY carful not to run it out of position!

Mine has a belt, and it will run in any position.

SR

/ sickle mower #5  
Question: I know the old sickle bar mowers are great for cutting hay, and maybe trimming around ponds and other areas where a Brush Hog wouldn't want to go...but with all the newer equipment, like swathers, etc. are these type mowers used much for cutting hay any more? They give me the creeps; I guess my folks put the fear in me as the inherent dangers of a sickle mower, and the fact that a couple of my Grand Dad's neighbors had three legged dogs running around.

I suppose that if a man had his mower, rake and baler paid for, and wasn't running a huge operation, it would be practical. Pardon my ignorance, but that's the way they baled hay when I was growing up back in the late 40's and early 50's and I haven't bucked a bale since 1955...:eek:

/ sickle mower #6  
A sickle bar mower will do a good job in nice standing have,if;
the sickle sections and guards are sharp and properly adjusted (tightly) so as to shear the stalks,
back when I mowed with a sickle bar I had two sharpened bars hung on the tractor to be swapped out in the hay field when they started having problems.
Then when you finished mowing for the day they all needed to be sharpened to be ready to go the next day.
If the hay was lodged or down they would not pick it up and would frequently plug and require backing up while lifting the sickle to clear it,
which only worked part of the time. So then it was shut down the tractor get off clear the sickle spread out the hay plug so it could dry as well as the rest of the field,
get the tractor started again and proceed till the next issue came up.
Hay mowed with a sickle bar mower also needed a conditioner to be pulled thru to crush the stalks so it would dry faster,
otherwise it would be on the ground for several days before it could be baled. Some areas with low humidity did not have that problem.
Also a sickle bar mower is slower then a haybine with a reel and sickle setup and much slower then a discbine.

/ sickle mower #7  
I had never heard of a discbine; pulled up a video...IMPRESSIVE!

/ sickle mower #8  
WATCH where your fingers are when you lift the blade to the travel position. Also make sure the blade is timed to switch directions when the cutting blade is in the guard. Make sure you know where the dogs are when in use. I will never forget Grandaddy coming up to the house to get the shotgun after he cut the neighbor's beagle's legs off.

/ sickle mower #9  
WATCH where your fingers are when you lift the blade to the travel position. Also make sure the blade is timed to switch directions when the cutting blade is in the guard. Make sure you know where the dogs are when in use. I will never forget Grandaddy coming up to the house to get the shotgun after he cut the neighbor's beagle's legs off.

Unfortunately, a common occurrence.