Buying Advice sickle bar mower

/ sickle bar mower #1  

Yobiff

Tractor
John Deere 955
I am looking at a Feraboli 3 point hitch sickle bar mower for my JD 955. The tractor weighs 2000 lbs. A 7 ft. mower weighs approx. 630 lbs. A 5 1/2 ft. mower is approx. 450 lbs. Is the 7 foot mower too much for my tractor? I'd appreciate any input.

/ sickle bar mower #2  
4wd and a FEL on the tractor would help to balance things out. 180# difference on a 2000# tractor is 10%. My Ford 3500 weighs 3500# and I have run a 7' or 9' don't remember. Was no big deal from a weights and balance standpoint. However you may be pushing it. I just googled a 955 and yeah, just from an eyeball standpoint I think you are pushing it.

Maybe the seller will let you mount it on your tractor and see for yourself. If he is a serious retailer, getting you in the right equipment should be his #1 priority. A few minutes of his time to guarantee your satisfaction would surely come back to him in word of mouth references, especially if you bring your tractor to his business.

Hth,

Mark

/ sickle bar mower
Thanks for your input.I was looking at a mail order website, and the distance is too far to try it on for size - ( I live in PA, Everything Attachments is in NC ). Maybe I'll check my local dealers. The tractor does have a FEL, and it is FWD, but I have a feeling that you're right - 7 ft. probably is pushing it. I intend to use it to cut banks, and I don't want it to be unstable.

/ sickle bar mower #4  
I don't think you'd have any issues whatsoever with a 7' sickle mower on that tractor. The bulk of the weight is directly behind the tractor, so the weight of the cutter bar, which isn't much, is the only part offset to one side.
Travis

/ sickle bar mower #5  
Well how about when the sickle is in the elevated mow position where that "7' Moment of Inertia" is dangling off to the side. Keeping the left front tire on the ground would be the concern. I agree that if in the vertical transport or in the mow position with the bar on the ground ready to cut/cutting, no big deal.

On hillside mowing, putting liquid in the rear tires, about half full, helps to lower the center of gravity as does spreading your tires out as far as you can. Other thing would be to run the hills with the weight above you. I realize that if the mower is on the ground no biggie, but what if you had to raise it to get over a big rock or something, you would want that counter balance above you.

I ran 3 of them over the years and now run a drum and the dealer of the drum, which rides just like a disc or sickle, cautions you to account for what I said in selecting the size mower.

HTH,
Mark

/ sickle bar mower #6  
Well how about when the sickle is in the elevated mow position where that "7' Moment of Inertia" is dangling off to the side. Keeping the left front tire on the ground would be the concern. I agree that if in the vertical transport or in the mow position with the bar on the ground ready to cut/cutting, no big deal.

On hillside mowing, putting liquid in the rear tires, about half full, helps to lower the center of gravity as does spreading your tires out as far as you can. Other thing would be to run the hills with the weight above you. I realize that if the mower is on the ground no biggie, but what if you had to raise it to get over a big rock or something, you would want that counter balance above you.

I ran 3 of them over the years and now run a drum and the dealer of the drum, which rides just like a disc or sickle, cautions you to account for what I said in selecting the size mower.

HTH,
Mark
half full tires. you really want a lot of sloshing of fluid inside the tires? put the valve at 12 o'clock position and fill right up to the the valve. helps to reduce the sloshing that could cause a quicker over turn than with out fluid or with fluid filled to the valve stem.

/ sickle bar mower #7  
i would try the 7' out, get it attached, raise it a a couple inches to a foot or so off the ground. shut down tractor. and then apply some weight to the very end of the bar and see what happens with the tractor.

if you take it slow, the more chance you can stay in control of the machine, and less likely to flip the tractor.

get back on and take some turns with it, with it barely off the ground. and see if front tire wants to come off ground. just keep in a low gear an not much rpm's and see if it wants to twist your tractor into flipping / raising front tire off the ground.

with it barely raised off the ground, is were the most off balance weight will happen, getting those front tires turned sharp, and a little speed should cause some momentum for a crash and burn, or good to go doing.

---------------------
always try to keep FEL (front end loader) as close to ground as possible when moving (with in reason of course) to help reduce flipping tractor, never run FEL up in the air. to much chance of turning tractor over on its side.

/ sickle bar mower #8  
half full tires. you really want a lot of sloshing of fluid inside the tires? put the valve at 12 o'clock position and fill right up to the the valve. helps to reduce the sloshing that could cause a quicker over turn than with out fluid or with fluid filled to the valve stem.

My 3000 and Branson currently are filled right at half; maybe a little over. Only time I know fluid is in there is when I make a quick stop and then I only get a slight rocking motion of the tires that lasts for about 15 seconds. Never notice any sloshing sensation otherwise. Been doing it for years. Not opposed to full, just don't do it personally.

Mark