Sickle Bar Lubrication

/ Sickle Bar Lubrication #1  

TrapperJo

Tractor
Kubota/BCS
Finally received my 853 a few weeks ago. Working great.

I have been doing a lot of weed mowing on two tracks thru our woodlot and around the game plots. Here in central Wisconsin we have lots of sand. In many portions of the two tracks sand has washed down to form tracks that are more like sandboxes than two track access roads. Not uncommon during mowing to firmly drive an end of sickle into the bone dry sand...

I'm sure that this acts like sandpaper to the sickle. I have not been lubing the cutter blades thinking that oiling them up good would just allow the sand to stick around a lot longer.

I am using a 47" duplex at not much more than idle speed, third gear, 10" wheels. No casters... Just sliding the blade along the ground. I do have a PTO extension.

What are y'all doing for lubing the blade during use for sandy conditions?

Thanks.

TJ

/ Sickle Bar Lubrication #2  
Don't have sandy conditions... Uncle always lubes the bar before every cutting and uses the sickle bar every day during grass growing season...

You thoughts do make sense... guess the last thing you want is an abrasive slurry...

/ Sickle Bar Lubrication #3  
Try some bicycle chain dry lube. Cyclists face the same dilemma - want lube without having a grit magnet. Years ago I used to take the chain off of my bike and soak it in a pot of melted paraffin, which worked great. There are newer products out there that I'm sure perform even better.