Shrimp with Diablo Sauce

/ Shrimp with Diablo Sauce #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I have this pretty regular either at a Peruvian restaurant in Sacramento, or a Mexican restaurant in Upper Lake, on Highway 20 on the way to the north coast. I studied about a half dozen recipes and figured out how to make it for family and friends.

1 lb large shrimp (I use cooked and cleaned to keep things simple)

4 dried chile negro (the published recipes call for guajillo but any large dried chile will do)
3 dried chile arbol (I use toasted which has a good flavor)
1 dried chipotle chile

Remove stems and seeds, then soak in water for a couple hours to rehydrate.

Put the chiles into a blender along with:
1/4 onion, diced
1 garlic clove

Blend until completely smooth. Add some of the soak water if needed.

Now add tomatoes. If you have nice fresh tomatoes, use several of those. At this time of year I use canned Cento crushed tomatoes, which are just tomatoes, no chemicals or flavorings added. Put in about 12 tbsp. I just keep on putting the tomatoes in, then blending a bit, until it tastes how I want it.

In a big frying pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter.

Add 1/4 onion, diced. Fry it for a short while. Then add the shrimp, and fry for a short while longer. Then add the chile-tomato mix, and cook for several minutes longer.

That's it. Needs to be served with beans and if you are really hungry, either rice, fried potatoes, or fried yucca. And tortillas and limes.

Attachments

• diablo1.jpg
    diablo1.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 98
  • diablo2.jpg
    diablo2.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 101
  • diablo3.jpg
    diablo3.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 99
   / Shrimp with Diablo Sauce #2  
I have this pretty regular either at a Peruvian restaurant in Sacramento, or a Mexican restaurant in Upper Lake, on Highway 20 on the way to the north coast. I studied about a half dozen recipes and figured out how to make it for family and friends.

1 lb large shrimp (I use cooked and cleaned to keep things simple)

4 dried chile negro (the published recipes call for guajillo but any large dried chile will do)
3 dried chile arbol (I use toasted which has a good flavor)
1 dried chipotle chile

Remove stems and seeds, then soak in water for a couple hours to rehydrate.

Put the chiles into a blender along with:
1/4 onion, diced
1 garlic clove

Blend until completely smooth. Add some of the soak water if needed.

Now add tomatoes. If you have nice fresh tomatoes, use several of those. At this time of year I use canned Cento crushed tomatoes, which are just tomatoes, no chemicals or flavorings added. Put in about 12 tbsp. I just keep on putting the tomatoes in, then blending a bit, until it tastes how I want it.

In a big frying pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter.

Add 1/4 onion, diced. Fry it for a short while. Then add the shrimp, and fry for a short while longer. Then add the chile-tomato mix, and cook for several minutes longer.

That's it. Needs to be served with beans and if you are really hungry, either rice, fried potatoes, or fried yucca. And tortillas and limes.

Looks and sounds yummy!

/ Shrimp with Diablo Sauce #3  
That sounds pretty darn good!

/ Shrimp with Diablo Sauce #4  
Don't recall hearing of Diablo sauce in the past, but it sure does sound (and look) like a fine recipe.

/ Shrimp with Diablo Sauce #5  
We've got a great authentic Mexican restaurant near us that has this on the menu. My brother and I both love it, but our only complaint is removing shells from the shrimp at the restaurant. Perhaps I'll try making this at home some time! Looks delicious.

/ Shrimp with Diablo Sauce #6  
Looks great ! Woundnt mind swigging Authentic Mexican Horchata drink with it .

/ Shrimp with Diablo Sauce
It almost takes longer to write down the recipe than to make it. Definitely worth a try!