Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams?

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #1  

MickeyDBC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX7320PC & NX4510HST
Our new farm building is coming along slowly and I am about ready to put the roof panels on. The building is a 40' x 100' with 16' sidewalls and a 4/12 pitch on the roof. The "kit" came with butyl tape for the roof seams, but I have read that it is only needed on roofs with a 2/12 pitch or less. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Looks like will really slow down the roof installation and I don't know if it will be worth it.

IMG_2726.jpg

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #2  
It will really slow you down if don't install it and it leaks. I put it on mine at 4/12 pitch. It's not that much slower. Put first panel down, then put the tape on. Put the second panel on and screw the middle down. Then lift the edge and pull the backing paper off.
hugs, Brandi

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #3  
I've only used it in what I expected might be problem places. Around a couple of transparent skylight panels and along one valley at the bottom of a longer panel. Can't see any reason to use it on every seam.

If you get enough rain to pass through the joints between 5 rib panels, you'll have other, bigger problems.

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #4  
You have the material and as Brandi said, it is not that big of deal to install. I would use it and know I didn't 'cut corners' for the sake of a quicker build. You will only be doing this once and you will feel better knowing you took the time to make it better. Just my :2cents:

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #5  
JMHO - I'd take the time and do it right. Think of the costs & time if you have to do it over.

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #6  
I would just put the tape on and do it right the first time ,If you were paying somebody else to do the roof would you want the tape on?.......

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #7  
Our roofs they did with some kind of clear silicone (just a small bead) under each joint. I wouldn't put them up without something in there.

Aaron Z

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #8  
My tin shed had a leak in the spring, after a December build. The crew came back [40 miles] and removed a panel, taped the edge, screwed it back down and drove the 40 miles back to the office.

It would have been faster if done the first time.

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #9  
Be sure the screws are not overtorqued. A few were overtorqued on my roof and leaked from cracked rubber washers. I was surprised how bad a leak one screw could be until I replaced them.
hugs, Brandi

/ Should I use butyl tape on metal roof seams? #10  
I am in the pro tape category, when I was young, I worked for a contractor that liked cutting corners, and we always paid a price for not installing the butyl