Should I move a small horse barn?

/ Should I move a small horse barn? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Sort of a stupid question, but about 45 years ago my Dad (r.i.p.) and I built a small horse barn. We used oak sawmill (rough cut, random width) lumber and poles. I'd guess it's about 12ft X 50ft. Four Dutch doors. Shingle roof (no leaks)...but nothings really plumb. No wiring.
I'm thinking I could just chainsaw poles, cut at ground level. It's on dirt. I'd cross-brace it to transport. A friend has large rollbacks & equipment...tows tractor trailers.
It's 15 miles away.
I don't need it...it's just sentimental.
Am I stupid to think of moving it? Lots of places here I could put it.

/ Should I move a small horse barn? #2  
How tall is it? Will you need to worry about overhead wires or anything? Just don't leave it in the middle of the road in Louisiana. ;)

/ Should I move a small horse barn?
I forgot height...it's a simple slanted roof, I can touch the back so about 8ft tall in back, I'm guessing 10 ft in front (11 max). No tunnels there to here.
Basically it can go one long backroad that does cross a couple main roads.

/ Should I move a small horse barn? #5  
Yup, put it somewhere you can see it from the house, sounds nice.

ed

/ Should I move a small horse barn?
I have binoculars...it's not pretty.

/ Should I move a small horse barn? #7  
I forgot height...it's a simple slanted roof, I can touch the back so about 8ft tall in back, I'm guessing 10 ft in front (11 max). No tunnels there to here.
Basically it can go one long backroad that does cross a couple main roads.
Go for it, by the time you get it on the trailer you will know if it's going to hold together. You probably will need permits and insurance unless you think you can do it without the wrong people coming along.
We moved a greenhouse about that size when I was in high school. As you said, my father backed a trailer under it, cut the posts off with a chainsaw, we jacked it up and he drove it to a different spot on the property. Granted it was a lot lighter, but I don't believe that it took more than an hour or so.

/ Should I move a small horse barn? #9  
You gotta go with your gut feelings on this one.

/ Should I move a small horse barn? #10  
Maybe if you didn't want to move the whole barn you could still move a section of it. A house mover could move the whole thing on one of their beam trailers. Would take some bracing, but they are used to doing that.