Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #101  
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.
2 wheel drive tractors are definitely still a viable option in certain situations, but the extra $ you’ll shell out for MFWD will pay dividend, especially for resale someday. I have a lot of old 2WD IH tractors and they do what I want them to do, but they never go in the woods or in the mud or snow. Good luck with what you decide. 👍

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #102  
Sawyer Rob, they do have 4-wheel braking, but only when 4-wheel drive is engaged. They don't have foundation brakes which are the brakes at the wheels, like disc or drum brakes, as on cars, trucks, and trailers. No FWD = no 4-wheel braking.
This is incorrect, as I already stated SOME tractors DO have 4 wheel braking... Yes, with actual brakes!

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #103  
This is incorrect, as I already stated SOME tractors DO have 4 wheel braking... Yes, with actual brakes!

SR
You stated it but I have no idea how you know it since you offered no evidence. Contrary to the policy at Fox News, facts do matter here because people can get killed by misinformation. Name a tractor that does have foundation brakes. Maybe some do. Most don't.

In the past, it was common to have braking on only one axle. Even today brakes are often on only one axle of dual-axle trailers, with the other axle optional because it's not required in all states.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #104  
You stated it but I have no idea how you know it since you offered no evidence. Contrary to the policy at Fox News, facts do matter here because people can get killed by misinformation. Name a tractor that does have foundation brakes. Maybe some do. Most don't.
You need to get out more and learn more about the subject you are talking about!

How do I know? Because they were an option on FOUR of my tractors!

Name one? SAME, want another? John Deere...

Yes, most don't, but you stated none do, so don't get anyone killed by your misinformation!

BTW, what does any of this have to do with Fox News??

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #106  
Sawyer Rob, they do have 4-wheel braking, but only when 4-wheel drive is engaged. They don't have foundation brakes which are the brakes at the wheels, like disc or drum brakes, as on cars, trucks, and trailers. No FWD = no 4-wheel braking.

By mid 90s most fwa tractors that used an electrical switch to engage the front axle would also automatically engage the front axle when you pushed the brake pedals down(locked together, not split) Gave "4 wheel braking", was nice, especially for road work. Deere 6000 series for example.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #107  
OK, I checked John Deere's site for a typical compact tractor and it has no optional foundation brakes. Show me one that does.

Doubt any compact would have front brakes, full frame ag tractor they are available on some.

1662398298833.png

Attachments

• 1662398075133.png
    1662398075133.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 43
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #108  
You need to get out more and learn more about the subject you are talking about!

How do I know? Because they were an option on FOUR of my tractors!

Name one? SAME, want another? John Deere...

Yes, most don't, but you stated none do, so don't get anyone killed by your misinformation!

SR
Please list the 4 John Deere tractor models that you own that have option for front axle brakes.

I've owned a 70 hp MFWD tractor with frt end loader for 11 yrs that the front axle has been engaged very few times since I purchased it. I used it to handle several 1000's of rd bales. Yes having MFWD engaged helps braking ability but not the same as having front axle brakes

Last edited:
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #109  
The Massey would be ok or even something like an 860 ford. I have pulled some serious logs with a 640 but the extra ponies of the 800 series would have helped

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #110