Should I consider a diesel for residential?

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #21  
My general thinking is the deficit hole is already so large that it's doubtful when inflation will be reigned in even if they were to start exercising some fiscal restraint so the hole doesn't get bigger. But there's no serious talk of that. So one needs to consider how much it will cost to replace a gas mower in 10 years.

To make matters more interesting, I'm not kidding when I say retailers want to transition to battery mowers because of increased sales, despite protestations and claims to the contrary. The gas mower that is available today may be a premium priced product 10 years from now if they are able to transition consumers into buying battery powered mowers.

Or one might choose to invest in a diesel mower today hoping to get 20-25 years out of it and somehow avoid all this.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #22  
There won't be ANY affordable gasoline. Maybe diesel if you drive a semi-truck coast to coast. No home heating oil either. Soy or corn based diesel made at home ?

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #23  
My 25 year old diesel mower has at least another 25 years of life left. My gas mowers would last 10 - 12 year before they became money pits. I'm mowing 3 - 4 acres weekly for a 6 - 7 month mowing season. I'd never go back to gas. No repairs, just regular maintenance, new blades every 5 years and a couple of batteries. With the gas mower I was burning 5 gallons a week, with the diesel it's less than 2 gallons a week.
5 gallon of gas per week to mow 2-3 acres?
I burn around 5 gallon of gas per mow with my gas zero turn, but I'm mowing 8 acres.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #24  
Are gasoline powered lawn mowers louder than a comparable diesel powered lawn mower? Seems like it to me. It seems like the gas powered varieties are screaming loud to do the job. Just wondering....

Cheers,
Mike
In my experience Yes they are louder

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #25  
   / Should I consider a diesel for residential? #26  
My 25 year old diesel mower has at least another 25 years of life left. My gas mowers would last 10 - 12 year before they became money pits. I'm mowing 3 - 4 acres weekly for a 6 - 7 month mowing season. I'd never go back to gas. No repairs, just regular maintenance, new blades every 5 years and a couple of batteries. With the gas mower I was burning 5 gallons a week, with the diesel it's less than 2 gallons a week.
This ^^

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #27  
I'm very much more happy with small diesel engines on tractors than gas. I was reminded of this, after the fire loss of my JD diesel X740, when I was lent an otherwise same tractor, gasoline powered. It was much louder, and with less power, and higher fuel consumption. I was grateful for its use, but bought a new diesel to replace it.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Should I consider a diesel for residential? #28  
This is a question I faced years ago when I bought a cummins.. I was told if I didn't tow allot, don't buy a cummins, but I bought it anyway only because it was a clean 97..

So back to the kubota diesel.. Ive seen a few, but figured any diesel after around 2000 had a bunch of emissions equipment on it like the trucks.. Is this the case? Sorry for a open ended question, but I don't even know if kubota used a turbo..

Thanks!

ZD1011 diesel Zero Turn 80 hours - $8,950

The ZD1011 is listed as having 19.3 horsepower. So it does not have a bunch of emission equipment. Some say the 48" deck is the best deck to have. Does not cut as large of a swath as the 54" deck but will mow tall or wet grass better.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #29  
I bought my JD 430 diesel used for $2,000 five plus, years ago. Was a good choice. Going used changes some of the dynamics.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #30  
I have a zd1211-60 and love it.
Years back I had a crafstman 23 hp lawnmower. I ended up getting a deal on a 22hp Deere mower. for the same 5 gallons I spent with the gas mower to do it once or twice , 5 gallons of diesel would do it at least 5-6 times.