Should I consider a diesel for residential?

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #11  
Any ZD above a ZD1211 will have DPF. My 1211 doesn't. A member on here, Browndog has 2 ZD1511s that do and I don't think he has had any issues with them. I too am in the camp that these add ons don't scare me. I have a JD 5090 with it.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #12  
Kubota is coming out with a new ZD diesel zero turn next year.
You may want to consider waiting. They are supposed to have improved emissions systems.

Maybe the current/older versions will be going on sale.

Last edited:
   / Should I consider a diesel for residential? #13  
When I replaced my riding mower, I purposely looked for a diesel version. Don't have a particularly large yard.... but the real reason I wanted diesel was to simplify fuel. I wanted to get away from storing gas for mower and then diesel for tractor. By getting a diesel mower, I've gotten rid of any/all gasoline here except for the 2 1/2 jug that I use for the chainsaw & string trimmer.
Diesel gets stale as well and it costs appreciably more to boot. If I were you, I'd be using canned gas in your wacker and chainsaw as pump gas mixed with oil goes bad pretty quick as well. Canned gas like Echo Red Armor, or Stihl and Tru-fuel when unopened and in the original can sealed, will last up to 5 years and remain perfectly good. Because I use my brush trimmer and chain saws infrequently, all I run is canned gas which isn't really gas at all but an akalyate compound plus it has already added, the correct mix ration of JASO all approved 2 stroke lubricant so no guessing about mix ratio's and possibly engine damage. All 2 strokes are touchy about mix ratio's anyway. I don't take chances as my saws (I have 4) and my weed trimmer were expensive to begin with.

Running a diesel on a suburban small yard is gross overkill for a number of reasons, mainly up front cost. That and the 'status symbol that I have the funds to buy one so, what.. You won't find commercial lawn services running many diesel powered mowers because of the high initial cost. They aren't a viable tool (profit maker versus cost up front) for them.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #14  
Thanks guys..

My lot is 1.2 rough acres and we mow it with a 48" craftsman.. The LT1000 is on it's last leg, so Ive been watching craigslist and fb and the kubota popped up.. Whats it worth?
My problem is when I find a mower I like, I have no idea what used value is, but prices seem so high, makes me think buying new is the way to go..

Really the only negative I can find with my diesel truck and probably a diesel ZT is the weight.. I almost buried the ram the other day and I know I wouldn't have had as much trouble if I was driving a 1/2 ton.

View attachment 822191

That zd1011 may be a (little) high, but considering the hours it's certainly in the ballpark. A well used zd1211, 326 or 331 would fetch between $7000 - $7500 with high hours.
Another plus for the zd's is that you may be able to cut your lawn all season without refueling. I get around 24 acres (conservatively) with full tanks on my zd326 and 1211.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #15  
Diesel gets stale as well and it costs appreciably more to boot. If I were you, I'd be using canned gas in your wacker and chainsaw as pump gas mixed with oil goes bad pretty quick as well. Canned gas like Echo Red Armor, or Stihl and Tru-fuel when unopened and in the original can sealed, will last up to 5 years and remain perfectly good. Because I use my brush trimmer and chain saws infrequently, all I run is canned gas which isn't really gas at all but an akalyate compound plus it has already added, the correct mix ration of JASO all approved 2 stroke lubricant so no guessing about mix ratio's and possibly engine damage. All 2 strokes are touchy about mix ratio's anyway. I don't take chances as my saws (I have 4) and my weed trimmer were expensive to begin with.

Running a diesel on a suburban small yard is gross overkill for a number of reasons, mainly up front cost. That and the 'status symbol that I have the funds to buy one so, what.. You won't find commercial lawn services running many diesel powered mowers because of the high initial cost. They aren't a viable tool (profit maker versus cost up front) for them.
Gas gets stale too, especially the ethanol crud which is the only stuff available in my area. Personally speaking I've had less issues with diesel. I would go diesel for a small yard if I had access to good diesel.

Note for the OP - the diesel machines are HEAVY and VERY FAST. Expect lawn tear up if you aren't careful.

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #17  
Are gasoline powered lawn mowers louder than a comparable diesel powered lawn mower? Seems like it to me. It seems like the gas powered varieties are screaming loud to do the job. Just wondering....

Cheers,
Mike

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #18  
Kubota is coming out with a new ZD diesel zero turn next year.
You may want to consider waiting. They are supposed to have improved emissions systems.

Maybe the current/older versions will be going on sale.
Sale in the current inflationary economy is a very relative term. Everything is 'on sale' but the cost is higher than the pre-sale price....

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #19  
I would expect the diesel engine to outlast the rest of the mower. As sorry as the gasoline engines are today, it could be the higher cost of the diesel engine will be partially offset by increased reliability. I suspect retailers are pushing towards battery powered mowers because they hope to sell a lot of expensive replacement batteries, and the relative cost of gas mowers will go up in the future. I could foresee a diesel mower lasting 20 years and who knows what the options will be then?

/ Should I consider a diesel for residential? #20  
My 25 year old diesel mower has at least another 25 years of life left. My gas mowers would last 10 - 12 year before they became money pits. I'm mowing 3 - 4 acres weekly for a 6 - 7 month mowing season. I'd never go back to gas. No repairs, just regular maintenance, new blades every 5 years and a couple of batteries. With the gas mower I was burning 5 gallons a week, with the diesel it's less than 2 gallons a week.