Should I buy this tractor?

/ Should I buy this tractor? #1  

kubota4253

Tractor
Kubota
Hello, first post and I need the advice of the wise. I'm contemplating buying a MF 35 Deluxe in extremely rough shape for $200 from a fellow down the street. The elderly gentleman who owns the tractor said he had a fuel tank problem years ago and just never fiddled with it again. I suspect it sat outdoors here in Indiana for 20 years or more judging by its condition. It is a 4 cylinder Continental with dual stage clutch, and comes with a bush hog.

I partially drained the oil - about a quart of water drained before I saw any oil. The oil was black and thick. The radiator is dry. Didn't check the hydraulic fluid. Couldn't move the fan. I'm pretty sure everything is seized up. All of the components appear to be there, however.

My question is can this tractor be restored to run again for use on a hobby farm? I realize something like this would be expensive, but I'm in it for the long haul and the pleasure of making it run again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

/ Should I buy this tractor? #2  
Let's put it this way, if it was the down the street from me I would buy it for $200.00.

/ Should I buy this tractor? #3  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum. You came to the right place to get any question answered.

Since you are "in it for the long haul and the pleasure of making it run again," yes. You will have one grand old lady when you are finished.

Please keep us up to date on your progress with pictures. We would very much like to follow along with your accomplishments and progress. :thumbsup:

/ Should I buy this tractor? #4  
Yes. The scrap metal is probably worth that.

I let a $600 International go by me a while back thinking it would just be a field ornament. What I didn't know is my wife would have liked it sitting in the field. Who knew?

/ Should I buy this tractor? #6  
If it is diesel powered and you can do the mechanical work yourself and have a year of before you need it field ready, GO FOR IT. I would not bother with a gas engine.

You cannot afford to have a dealer repair something in bad shape. Cheaper to buy new than have a dealer repair.

Massey Ferguson 35
1960 - 1965
Utility tractor
Previous model: Ferguson TO-35
Next model: Massey Ferguson 135

The gasoline engine was available after 1961.
Production:
Manufacturer: Massey Ferguson
Factory: Detroit, Michigan, USA
Original price (USD)
$2,529 (1963 )

Variants:
35: ag tractor
35 Utility: industrial
35 Turf: low-profile

Massey Ferguson 35 Engines:
Perkins 2.5L 3-cyl diesel
Continental 2.2L 4-cyl gasoline
Massey Ferguson 35 Power:
Plows: 3
Drawbar (tested): 32.13 hp [24.0 kW]
PTO (tested): 37.04 hp [27.6 kW]

Capacity:
Fuel: 13.9 gal [52.6 L]
Hydraulic system: 8 gal [30.3 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: transmission
two-stage clutch*
Rear RPM: ground/540 (1.375)
Engine RPM: 540@1700

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 72 inches [182 cm]
Weight: 2982 to 3559 pounds
Front tire: 5.50-16
Rear tire: 10-28

35 Serial Numbers:
Location: Serial number plate on the dashboard of the Massey Ferguson 35.
photo of 35 serial number

1960: 204181
1961: 211071
1962: 222207
1963: 235123
1964: 247605

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
Differential lock: rear optional
Steering: manual recirculating ball
Brakes: independent manual shoe/drum
Cab: Open operator station.

Hydraulics:
Capacity: 8 gal [30.3 L]
Pressure: 2800 psi [193.1 bar]
Pump flow: 3.5 gpm [13.2 lpm]

Electrical:
Charging system: generator
Charging amps: 12

Battery:
Gas Number: 1
Diesel Number: 2
Gas Volts: 12
Diesel Volts: 6

Page information:
Last update: March 23, 2018
Copyright: Copyright 2018 TractorData LLC

/ Should I buy this tractor? #8  
I’d buy it.

/ Should I buy this tractor? #9  
Short answer yes. The unknown is what condition the engine and other components are in. If you are mechanically inclined first order of business is getting the engine freed up. You will need some way to turn it over mechanically. Some folks have put kerosene in the engine block in lieu of oil to help facilitate this. The Continental is a gasser and will need fresh fuel and you may need to rebuild the carbs. Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Should I buy this tractor?
If it is diesel powered and you can do the mechanical work yourself and have a year of before you need it field ready, GO FOR IT. I would not bother with a gas engine.

Jeff, it's a gasser. Why would you not bother with it?