Tires Should I buy a Second Set of Tires?

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #1  

arnoldziffel

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h, Mahindra 2516, several Toro Wheel Horse 522xi machines.
I'm using a Yanmar tractor. I've come to like the machine and I'm thinking of buying it.

The tractor comes with R4 tires but the seller is offering, at extra cost, a set of Turf tires. Should I buy the extra set? Price $650. Almost no use.

My tractor use is field mowing and occasional deep snow removal -- not much more. Do many folks own more than one set of tires for their tractor? Strikes me as unusual yet I don't want to pass and then regret later.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #2  
Save your money. I have turfs on mine and have considered getting another set of wheels/R1's for tilling, plowing and general dirt work. I decided against it because I don't think that I would gain that much in my situation. Buy a useful implement instead. You are probably better off with just the R4's in your situation.

Last edited:
   / Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #3  
If it's tires and wheels, that would be an awesome deal. For used, but nice tires, it's a good deal, but it doesn't sound like you'd need them. I have R4s on my LS, and R1s on my Massey so I can better match the tires to the conditions. I found a set of wheels and older, but serviceable Turfs that will fit on the Massey for $200 and grabbed them. I use the Massey for mowing the big areas around my house, and was worried the R1s would tear up the lawn (it's 4,300lbs before the 800lb RFM). This year was pretty dry, so it didn't matter, but next year might be different, so I'm glad I have them as an option.

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #4  
R4s. Toss the other deal and buy a boxblade or other implement.

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #5  
Unless you're planning to use the tires to make a sandbox or flower garden I wouldn't worry about them. A boxblade for about that price would help move a lot of snow and dirt if needed.

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #6  
I'm considering getting a set of turfs for the fronts on my 1025. The R-4s that it came with don't have much turning grip. Waiting to see how they do in the snow. Thinking they'll be crap, and the 1025 doesn't have turning brakes like the 4010 had.

Ralph

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #7  
I'm using a Yanmar tractor. I've come to like the machine and I'm thinking of buying it.

The tractor comes with R4 tires but the seller is offering, at extra cost, a set of Turf tires. Should I buy the extra set? Price $650. Almost no use.
<snip>
How big a tractor? Yanmar went up to 70HP.
Obviously compare to retail price but as you wrote
Almost no use.
for your situation.

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #8  
Hi,

I bought a second set of turf tires for my smaller tractor. The only time they have been on the tractor is when I took the ag style tires to get them foam filled.

Swapping tires just does not seem to happen for me. I probably should sell my extra set of turf tires, but would probably try talking the potential purchaser out of buying them, unless he really needed them!

Like the others have said, buy something you will use. A really good deal for something that just sits there doing nothing for you is not really that good of a deal at all...

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #9  
Ha, ha - a second set of tires?? I sure hope its a small tractor and that the tires aren't filled with Rimguard or the like. I tried working on the back tires on my small 28hp Ford 1700 and darn near got smashed flat when the tire fell over and tried to land on me. Come to find out that rear tire weighted almost 650lb(Rimguard filled). There is NO WAY I will be working with the Rimguard filled rear tires on my Kubota. I know for a fact that each tire is currently holding 750lb of Rimguard plus the rim & tire weight. Its amazing how fast an old fart can move when faced with being smashed flat.

/ Should I buy a Second Set of Tires? #10  
arnoldziffel:

I've had my Yanmar 20HP 1610D with bucket and front-wheel drive when needed for 12 years (first and only tractor I've ever owned.) I've used it for seemingly about every task possible, including bush mowing and deep (16") snow removal, plus some plowing, ditch-making with a middle buster (potato plow), disk harrowing, digging dirt from the woods to put on my wife's flower garden (after removing the "old" dirt), dressing the gravel driveway, hauling cut tree limbs and pieces of trunks to the woods' organic waste pile, moving empty 250 gallon gas tanks around, pulling up 2" diameter saplings out of the ground, digging rocks out of the ground that the lawn mower is about to hit, and much, much more.

Both front and rear tires are turf tires, and I wouldn't change that for anything. And, as mentioned on many other threads on this site, once you have your tractor you WILL almost for sure find MANY other things you can and should do with it. Once you purchase a tractor you will find, like most of us on this site, that you can GREATLY leverage its usefulness (and save yourself unbelievable amounts of manual labor) with relatively inexpensive appurtenances (i.e. attachments.)

So, as the famous Terminator once said, "Trust me."

DougC