should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch #1  

tmcj

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
I have an 18' equipment trailer and a 12' dump trailer, both are 10k rated. My truck hitch, however is 7500 weight carrying and 13,000 with weight distribution. My truck GCWR is 16,000, so with the truck weight I am limited to pulling 10k regardless, hence the trailer sizes. With the current hitch I can't utilize my trailers to their full extent so here is my dilemma. Should I replace the hitch on my truck to increase the towing capacity or go with a weight distribution system? A new hitch is about half the price, but the weight distribution will provide sway control along with redirecting some of the weight back to the trailer, which relieves the truck somewhat. However, a hitch would work for either trailer, and the weight distribution would require a second one, or rotating between trailers as needed. The dump trailer would frequently be loaded to its capacity more than the equipment trailer so it would get the WD system primarily. I don't really need it for my equipment trailer with my tractor, but might if needed to haul anything heavier, like a broken down Ford for my buddy, lol. I only bring that up because I turned him down once before because of my hauling limits. I am leaning towards WD even with the higher cost basically due to the added sense of safety and control. Am I thinking correctly or spending extra money unnecessarily?

BTW, my truck is an '07 GMC 2500HD, 6.0 gas. 6450# on a scale, full gas tank with me and daily cargo. That leaves me with 9550# trailer capacity, or 2000# more than my current hitch rating. That extra ton capacity is mainly what I'm after, especially with the dump trailer. The truck should have no problem pulling or stopping it.

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch #2  
With the weight distributing hitch you can buy the extra parts for the second trailer. The weight distribution hitch will also put weight on the front wheels of the truck.

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch
With the weight distributing hitch you can buy the extra parts for the second trailer. The weight distribution hitch will also put weight on the front wheels of the truck.

Which besides spreading the load adds control correct?

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch #4  
Which besides spreading the load adds control correct?

Yes, by doing a much better job of balancing the load forces. My 2015 Ram 2500 CC, short bed, diesel is easily able to run down the road in a stable, level state no matter what load is on the trailer when using the WDH in windy or calm weather, even in the rare case of passing other vehicles. Since most of my trailer pulling is 2 lane highways I have not experienced much Interstate driving and being passed by an 18 wheeler, but have no qualms of this happening. I will not use my 20' equipment trailer without a WDH system. The WDH just adds so much to control and ride quality.

I have had standard Reese and Equalizer WDH and they worked okay for what they were. However, a few years ago I upgraded to a Blue Ox BXW1500 WDH and it works great, is simpler and cleaner to use than my previous setups and works 100% in my experience, without any significant sway or white knuckle issues. I also have the 1000# bars for lighter loads.

The only problem with any of the WDH hitches for my uses is there is no easy way to setup the trailer mounts for use with a borrowed 12k dump trailer (enclosed rectangular tubing frame build) as the large mounted box in front interferes with easily frame mounting the setup. If the dump trailer was mine I would spend a weekend and mod the front box for WDH mounts.

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch #5  
I just looked at my truck hitch. I have three trailers a camper (under 5k loaded), a 14' 6k total) car utility and a 5-ton dump. I need to use WDH with all but camper most times I use them.

Attachments

• KIMG1558.jpg
    KIMG1558.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 168
OK, so it sounds like the WD hitch would be the way to go for the sake of stability and control. I was looking at the Equalizer or Reese SteadiFlex.

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch #7  
OK, so it sounds like the WD hitch would be the way to go for the sake of stability and control. I was looking at the Equalizer or Reese SteadiFlex.

I have had the 14K Equal-i-zer hitch for a number of years.
It is really a GREAT safety device.
I HIGHLY recommend the Equal-i-zer brand.
That said: It can be said that it is somewhat of a greasy inconvenience.
I always think it is funny when the customs guys at the border (US/Canada) walk by the hitch and the grease seems to jump out at them.
It does the same to me also, though I can never seem to understand just how it happens.

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch #8  
Even up grading to a Class V hitch won't really change the rating. There may be some other variable, like the frame where the hitch hooks up, that still limits it. The WDH is the way to go to be legal.

That's a good point. I think it is the factory installed hitch so there might be something to that thought. Looks like the WD hitch is in the near future.

Thanks guys.

/ should I buy a new hitch or weight distribution hitch #10  
That's a good point. I think it is the factory installed hitch so there might be something to that thought. Looks like the WD hitch is in the near future.

Thanks guys.

Let us know how you like it.

If your truck is a cab-and-a-half, we have the same exact truck and I have been wondering about the bigger hitch vs WD hitch myself.