Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling?

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I need to buy some chain and binders to haul a couple of tractors. One is 5500 lbs and the other 8000 lbs. I need chain but have a couple of Chinese ratchet binders as well as two USA made lever binders. There are two concerns for me.

One, is Chinese grade 70, 5/16" chain OK or should I pony up for USA made?

Two, are my Chinese ratchet binders OK or should I buy US made ones? How do guys feel about lever binders in general and USA made binders?

Any advice appreciated. Searching is confusing.

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #2  
Well, Six - this is how I would break it down. If the chain and binders were a one time thing for hauling a couple tractors - go ahead and use the Chinese grade 70 binder & chain.

If it were going to be a continual thing - then I like the idea of appropriate sized American chain and binders. And hold them apart to be used only for tie down when hauling.

I have quite a bit of chain - use it exclusively to drag stuff. I've never hauled anything, except around the property, and I do not chain down when doing that.

I've got four - 35' lengths of grade 80 - 3/8" chain from my friend that he used when he was trucking. Its american chain. Its dam heavy - I use it for dragging - logs, brush, pallets for crude leveling etc, etc. He gave me two lever binders also. Never used them - they are also american - very heavy like the chain he gave me.

So that's my 2 cents...........

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling?
Thank you, oosik. I'm going to haul occasionally so it's not a one time thing.

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #4  
I use 5/16" grade 70 China chain and China ratchet binders all the time. When I bought the chain and binders I was told they were USA made. About 6 months later I was in the same store to buy some D-rings and grab hooks and happened to looked at the 5 gallon pail my chain came from and it said made it China on the pail. Same with the binders. D-rings, Grab hooks and any of the hardware hanging on the wall. All from China. By that time I'd hauled the tractor and many vehicles using them. Grade 70 should be grade 70 no matter where it comes from.
I've been using the same chain and binders for about 10 years now without any problems. Just have to keep the ratchet binders well lubed.

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #5  
RATCHET BINDER - FOLDING HANDLE RATCHET BINDERS

I bought 4 of these to secure my tractor on the trailer. Very easy to use and eliminates the lever type binders that can snap back and hit you if you are using a cheater pipe ! The folding handles is a plus also. Not sure where they are made but they are heavy duty and good quality.

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #6  
Nothing wrong with the China made chains or binders. If you were a trucker hauling gold bricks, I'd pony up for a rated and tagged chain but for tractors it's a waste

Brett

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #7  
Nothing wrong with the China made chains or binders. If you were a trucker hauling gold bricks, I'd pony up for a rated and tagged chain but for tractors it's a waste

Brett

I agree, especially if you purchase it from a reputable store/outlet. They would have bought it to specification.

That's the thing about "Made in China", as we've learnt here on TBN. The Chinese make a very good product as long as it is manufactured to 'standard(s)'. It's the knock-offs that you have to worry about. So; buy from a reputable store = confidence in the product. Buy from a flea-market; dodgy.

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #8  
I buy based on grade markings. Graded foreign stuff is usually not much less than US made. Ratchet binders are more cumbersome than lever type in my experience; maybe because I grew up using the levers. I tighten up he chain till snug and then take another link or two using a cheater then wrap the loose end of chain around the levers to act as keepers. I've picked up some used ratchet over the years at sales though and use them also.

Ron

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #9  
As long as you are hauling junk to the scrap yard why not.

/ Shoud I trust Chinese chain and ratchet binders for hauling? #10  
I agree, especially if you purchase it from a reputable store/outlet. They would have bought it to specification.

That's the thing about "Made in China", as we've learnt here on TBN. The Chinese make a very good product as long as it is manufactured to 'standard(s)'. It's the knock-offs that you have to worry about. So; buy from a reputable store = confidence in the product. Buy from a flea-market; dodgy.

I agree with this assessment. The Chinese can make wonderful products as long as they are made to a specification and they have to stand behind it.