Shopping for an older Case backhoe

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
Noob here, first post.
Been lurking off and on for a couple months. Wanted to buy a small Kubota with backhoe but the bigger units are more appealing. (maybe I'm just a cheapskate) Just looked at a 580C (early 80's, $8500 or so I think is what he wanted for it)
that the guy acted like it was a great machine per phone conversation. He didn't have the key to start it and a screwdriver wouldn't do the trick. I'm going back to look at it on Tuesday if he can find the key. Looks like the machine had rarley been aquainted with a grease gun. Big welded area on front loader arm. He did say he had new seals put in the stabilizer cylinders.
I bought some property in the Missouri Ozarks. Always wanted a backhoe and can now justify it as I do some work on my place.
On the way back home I stopped to get a bite to eat and ran into a contractor I know, who does a lot of work at our plant. He knew of one that his friend told him about. May get the details on that next week.

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #2  
Yup, I hear ya on the appeal of a full sized machine. I'd be careful on spending good $$ on junk though, a machine that has not been serviced reqularly and has major welds is a bad idea. Best place to buy a good industrial backhoe is at municiple or utility co auctions, like the local gas co or power co. Those guys are seldom in a hury to do anything and seldom hurt the equipement. also those tractors are serviced. I bought my JD 210C from the county complete with all service records and manuals, its tight and runs like new. Case makes good tractors, I'd get at least a 580C and up and stay away from the older ones. Don't pass up a good JD or Cat either, again mid 80's and up. If you get a good one you'll be spoiled for life!

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #3  
Make sure to inspect all of the ductile iron parts (boom dipper etc) fitted on some of the Cases , coz if there cracked there's no Case reccommended way to weld them (although Ni-Rod 44 migged can work)...
Rob

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #4  
Try some of your lurking on Ebay and don't rush it. Ten months ago I bought a meticulously maintained 1974 580CK for $6000. It came with 12, 18, and 24 inch hoe buckets, 80 inch front bucket, field and pavement outrigger pad sets, some spare parts, and all manuals. The unit runs like new, is tight, and needs nothing. After using it, I was sure glad that I bought a full size machine. I do not think that I would have found a decent 4wd in my price range, but often I wish I had it, or at least a locking diff. The occasional crawling out of mud using the buckets is a waste of time, but overall, for the money that I spent, I am very happy.

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #5  
I would be really skeptical to buy something that old, or buying a car with
100k + miles. But on the other hand I would have no problem depending on an old backhoe or a car with 100k + miles on it if we grew "old" together.
For example, I put 273k on my first Ranger and trusted it very much. But there is hardly any way in the world I would buy a truck with that many miles.

Getting back to the backhoe, my father has a 1967-1970 (I'm not exactly sure) Case backhoe. It is older than I am. But since I have been around it my whole life, I trust it. We use it frequently, and it is great to have around. Once you have one, you will find so many uses for it you'll wonder how you got along without it.

We use it often for picking up fallen limbs to haul off. Recently installed my septic tank and field lines and underground electric service with it. It is also very usefull for getting out stuck vehicles (other tractors, etc). Almost forgot, I ran it hard for about 2 days straight hauling a boatload of dirt around the house.

I'm not sure where the one you are looking at is welded, but ours is welded also. It is a brace that runs between the front two loader arms just behind the bucket. Over time it cracked and it is now welded up and has given no trouble.

We also have a leaking cylinder. It's not bad so we use it as is. But seals can easily be replaced if need be.

So for the around the house use, and not depending on it for the success of your business, it may be ok. Maybe a little high on the price though. Just my $.02!

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe
Well, I went back out today. Turns out the key was in the toolbox all this time the auctioneer didn't know it. It started after a shot of ether as the battery was a little weak. It just didn't sound very smooth and I couldn't help but notice the alternator was wobbling back and forth a good 1/8 inch or more. The other day I didn't notice the bucket had been welded on and it had worn spots in it where you could see daylight through. I was starting to wonder if I was fully awake the other day when I went out to look at it. A couple of the bucket teeth were missing and had also been welded on.
It took quite a bit of pressure on the peddle to swing right. I wanted to see how much slop was in just the bucket itself. Lots of slop.
I get off the machine and tell the guy there are others for similar money in better shape. OK, I told a bit of a fib as I've not seen the other ones in person yet. I'm suddenly noticing this rather long crack near the base of the boom. Not sure how I missed that either. He offers it at $7,500. I point out the crack and thank him for his time.
It was a learning experience.
Thanks for all the feedback.

On a positive note I did notice some nice units at the local tractor auction lot but they are closed today. Even a small Kubota with a backhoe.

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #7  
.......but often I wish I had it, or at least a locking diff. ........

geobar-
Your 580CK should indeed have a locking diff, it would be the round 'button' on the floor, under the seat. Depress it with your foot to lock the rear wheels. You will be able to feel the gears, takes some practice though.

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #8  
caver said:
Well, I went back out today. Turns out the key was in the toolbox all this time the auctioneer didn't know it. It started after a shot of ether as the battery was a little weak. It just didn't sound very smooth and I couldn't help but notice the alternator was wobbling back and forth a good 1/8 inch or more. The other day I didn't notice the bucket had been welded on and it had worn spots in it where you could see daylight through. I was starting to wonder if I was fully awake the other day when I went out to look at it. A couple of the bucket teeth were missing and had also been welded on.
It took quite a bit of pressure on the peddle to swing right. I wanted to see how much slop was in just the bucket itself. Lots of slop.
I get off the machine and tell the guy there are others for similar money in better shape. OK, I told a bit of a fib as I've not seen the other ones in person yet. I'm suddenly noticing this rather long crack near the base of the boom. Not sure how I missed that either. He offers it at $7,500. I point out the crack and thank him for his time.
It was a learning experience.
Thanks for all the feedback.

On a positive note I did notice some nice units at the local tractor auction lot but they are closed today. Even a small Kubota with a backhoe.

Yeah, keep looking! That thing sounds pretty rough. Good luck

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #9  
Syncro--

The owners, service, and parts manuals show the button, linkage, and mechanism for the diff lock but none of it is on the machine, nor does it look like it ever was. Funny that the manuals do not indicate "option," but none of it is there and nothing looks altered. Unless it was broken and someone did a very good job of removing all traces of it.

Geobar

/ Shopping for an older Case backhoe #10  
I purchased a '79 580C last March and have been very pleased with my machine. I looked on eBay for awhile and almost bought a 580B, but I ended up buying the 580C from a friend who owns an excavating company. I paid a little more for the machine but I knew the history, how it ran, and how it had been used the last fifteen years. It has one weld on a stabilizer but the repair is many years old so I guess it was done right.

Even though it runs like a top I have had to get a new hydraulic pump and replaced a few seals and bushings. Even if you get a good machine be sure to keep $1000 set aside for repairs. Parts for these machines are easy to find and actually are very reasonable, and they are easy to repair.

I bought 18 acres and have been clearing for my new home and the machine has been great so far, once you find a good machine you won't get rid of it.