Shipping problem to improve?

/ Shipping problem to improve? #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
   / Shipping problem to improve? #3  
There are a lot of things that might help, but as far as I am concerned, how they treat truckdrivers in that state has a lot to do with a shortage. There are a LOT of drivers that just will not go to Callie, and I am one of them. Last time I went past Denver was when my load planner put in on a load out there because our usual company supplying us with freight back to the Southeast was on a two week shutdown. I argued and lost, but made it clear that it wouldn't happen again. I also told him if he left me there over the weekend, he would find his truck in Callie and his driver in Florida. That was 1999 and I haven't been back.
That state isn't truck friendly!
David from jax

/ Shipping problem to improve?
Since this involves interstate commerce, the feds could fix it. Not really a political issue, more of an economic one and vitally important to life in rural America.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #5  
Since this involves interstate commerce, the feds could fix it. Not really a political issue, more of an economic one and vitally important to life in rural America.
Just wondering, have you ever seen anything that the Federal Government got involved with that made things go smoother? I can give you examples of what the Feds do to make trucking a nightmare when they get involved, if needed!
A very good example is the 14 hour rule with truckers logbooks. Once a driver starts his/her day with a pretrip inspection, they have 14 hours to work before they have to be done. Nothing can stop the 14 hour clock, except a break of 10 hours. So if I drive an hour to the port, spend 4-6 hours getting the load and getting out of the port, I have wasted over half of my available time. Companies hire drivers that do only the part of getting the load off the port property and lease property nearby to stage the containers on chassis. Then a road driver comes in and picks up the trailer from the drop lot, and goes about the business of getting the load to it's destination. Some ports are better than others, but almost none have it down to where the driver isn't waiting several hours, either in line checking in, finding a roadworthy chassis, waiting on the lift to grab the container out of the stack after waiting in line again for that, then back into another line to check out. These lines are not a truck or two, they are huge waiting lines for the amount of cargo being moved. A good example is Savannah, Ga. I can run two loads a day out of Jax to Savannah, but if it is the port, then it is once a day. For this reason, many drivers who get paid by the mile don't want anything to do with hauling containers out of the port. Going into a port also requires a TWIC badge, as well as an individual port pass. When the TWIC came out, it was supposed to replace all the individual port passes, and make things go smoother but all it did was take away the money generated by the port for the individual port passes, so the ports weren't willing to give those up. So it added to what a driver needs to enter a port.
This is just a small portion of what is wrong with the trucking industry that the Federal government has failed to fix. Another is the tax increases in fuel that were passed to build more parking for trucks. The private truck stops screamed they were going to loose money if they couldn't get the truckers into their parking spaces as captive audiences. They agreed to provide space for truckers, but with more and more trucks on the road, and log book restrictions requiring 10 hour breaks rather than 8 hours, parking has become a disaster. Parking in Atlanta is
$25.00 a night at the Petro. Parking anywhere else is already filled by local drivers so the average over the road driver has to pay.
I would think a company who load and unloads trucks should provide overnight parking for either 10 hours before or after a drivers arrival for at least 80% of the trucks on any day. A lot of company's just don't want the drivers parking on their property, no matter what, and that causes issues when they take way too long to unload the trucks. I have run my 14 hour clock down to zero and they still want me to leave. I have done a complete 10 hour reset at times while trying to get unloaded.
If your going to control driver's time, at least make everyone involved account for the wasted time!
Rant off,
David from jax

/ Shipping problem to improve? #6  
Everyone hates 18 wheelers until they realize the US commerce would come to a screeching halt without them. I do wish there was a more organized alternative, but I dont have great suggestions. I dont mean "fix" the trucking industry I mean find a better way to transport goods. Kind of like the power grid....we need a complete overhaul.

What an incredible waste of time for a trucker to sit around for 5 hours waiting to offload...that is the epitome of inefficient use of resources.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #7  
Yea, everyone praises the "frontline" workers, some deserved and some not, yet they curse the truckers that are up against it every day, pandemic or not. Without these guys the frontline workers wouldn't have anything to work with. Don't get me wrong, I have a daughter that is an emergency room PA so I get their sacrifice. But based on her first hand knowledge some of them just aren't worthy of the praise. Truckers get no praise and rules and regulations make it increasingly difficult to survive in that industry. I'm always surprised we have guys and gals that are willing to put up with all that crap. My hat is off to you Dave.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #8  
I've said it here before... if the rest of the motoring public had to pass the same tests and meet the same restrictions which a CDL operator does there would be a lot fewer cars on the road... and they would be a much safer place to be.

There are a lot of laws on the books but the one I follow religiously is that of physics... two solid objects can't occupy the same place at the same time. I can stop and manuever a heck of a lot better than that 60 foot long, 80K lb tractor trailer. ;)

/ Shipping problem to improve? #9  
I've said it here before... if the rest of the motoring public had to pass the same tests and meet the same restrictions which a CDL operator does there would be a lot fewer cars on the road... and they would be a much safer place to be.

There are a lot of laws on the books but the one I follow religiously is that of physics... two solid objects can't occupy the same place at the same time. I can stop and manuever a heck of a lot better than that 60 foot long, 80K lb tractor trailer. ;)
My 3000 pound Malibu isn't going to win any fights so we yield every chance we get.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #10  
Another portion of the problem is only diesels (18 wheelers) that meet new California clean air rules are allowed on docks to get containers... Thank you GOV Newsom...
Apparently that's not correct: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...klog-not-due-trucking-regulations/8456582002/

(TL;DR is that only trucks with engines older than 2005 are banned. The port of LA already required engines newer than 2007 so the CARB rule has no effect on them.)

The problems are: driver shortage, poor driver pay, non union drivers paid per trip instead of per hour, long waits to get in to the port, to pick up a container and to get out. So instead of three trips a day a driver might make one or two. All driven by cutting staff and overhead for more profit. It all worked ok when everything else in the chain was stable. But the supply chain problems from covid still ripple throughout the entire system.

Clean air rules come from CARB not the governor. The governor does not have the ability to veto them like he can with laws from the legislature. All he can do to change things is select new commissioners when the old ones' six year terms expire.