Shipping Containers

/ Shipping Containers #21  
Here's the roof/carport I did for my 20' - between the roof and a few trees, the container never sees the sun. Any time, day or nite, I can measure the temp inside and it's within a degree or two of outside (shade) temp. I also have 4 other 40's (2 standard, 2 HiCube) that are awaiting money/time for roofs to happen, so I bought 4 "greenhouse vent kits" for those - 20" motorized louver intake for near the door @ bottom, 16" louver/fan outtake @ rear, top side.

Those are still a "WIP", but here's the 20' - all framing is 2" square tube, .120" wall for rafters and 1/4" wall for the main runners and posts... Steve

Oh, roof is 24' square, and all bolt-together modular - if I ever need to, I can relocate it section by section with my FEL (and some "tinker toys")

Attachments

• SmContRoof-1.jpg
    SmContRoof-1.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 383
   / Shipping Containers
Here's the roof/carport I did for my 20' - between the roof and a few trees, the container never sees the sun. Any time, day or nite, I can measure the temp inside and it's within a degree or two of outside (shade) temp. I also have 4 other 40's (2 standard, 2 HiCube) that are awaiting money/time for roofs to happen, so I bought 4 "greenhouse vent kits" for those - 20" motorized louver intake for near the door @ bottom, 16" louver/fan outtake @ rear, top side.

Those are still a "WIP", but here's the 20' - all framing is 2" square tube, .120" wall for rafters and 1/4" wall for the main runners and posts... Steve

Oh, roof is 24' square, and all bolt-together modular - if I ever need to, I can relocate it section by section with my FEL (and some "tinker toys")

That is a nice roof you built! Certainly more than I could put together, nice job!

/ Shipping Containers #23  
Friends of mine, pressed for space, stacked two, being used for lawn and garden equipment overstock, and use a forklift and basket to access the second one. Not even sure how they open the doors, unless it's been modified to a rollup door. Good use of space though.

/ Shipping Containers #24  
I have added a few vents the other day to mine, I haven't had issues yet. On the new one I was going to do what you are talking about, add lower vent on one end and then use an RV vent for the roof near the other end. They make a shield for the roof vents so that rain/snow won't get in as well for about $30-$40.

I like the spinning roof vent Eddie chose

/ Shipping Containers
I like the spinning roof vent Eddie chose

Yeah I agree, the shield would go over it, so if it rained or snowed and it was open, it wouldn't get wet inside. I'm in agreement with you all that ceiling vents with fan are the best option though.

/ Shipping Containers #26  
The JD 855 has lived in a freight container for 3 years (not insulated)

kIgriXd.jpg

Also, hand tools, diesel fuel, and 150 pounds of grass seed (seed for the last 6 months)

Zero moisture in this container,,,

/ Shipping Containers
The JD 855 has lived in a freight container for 3 years (not insulated)

kIgriXd.jpg

Also, hand tools, diesel fuel, and 150 pounds of grass seed (seed for the last 6 months)

Zero moisture in this container,,,

Good to hear! Thanks for posting a pic! Do you know how high your ROPS goes?

/ Shipping Containers #28  
Good to hear! Thanks for posting a pic! Do you know how high your ROPS goes?

I have no idea,, we found the container was high enough inside,, but, I do not remember any dimensions,,

If moisture was any issue, the pretty wood floor would not last long,,

LDwSvCV.jpg

I would almost think the containers that had moisture issues may have been an early design.
This container has a very sophisticated vent system, no mice or insects get in,,,

/ Shipping Containers
I have no idea,, we found the container was high enough inside,, but, I do not remember any dimensions,,

If moisture was any issue, the pretty wood floor would not last long,,

LDwSvCV.jpg

I would almost think the containers that had moisture issues may have been an early design.
This container has a very sophisticated vent system, no mice or insects get in,,,

I agree, mine came with 4 small vents in each top corner and I haven't had an issue, I added more vents so it wouldn't get so hot and my gas stored in there wouldn't blow up. I wasn't originally concerned with moisture until people on here mentioned it. My containers come with 1 year watertight and 5 year floor guarantees.

/ Shipping Containers #30  
I got 2 of them about 8 years ago when I started my build. Originally they were for lumber and tools. Now they are for the tractor, my motorcycle, and 5 quads. And some tools also. Whirlybird roof vents are a must.