SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
I have decided that it is time to get a sea can on the property.

In the past 5 years, we have had a lot of changes here.
1) 3 kids graduated and moved out
2) we divided the house in half, upper and lower levels. we live in the lower level, tenants in the upper suite. Our unit is small.
3) that means the GARAGE (30 ft x 30 ft, double bay) is FULL to capacity --- keeping in mind that it contains things that we have gathered over many decades, our stuff, kids stuff, the contents of the entire house - compressed to half the space, along the way there are other items that were not ours ... from my late parents, a few items from friends, general storage etc (still saving and budgeting for a barn)
4) it's difficult to maneuver around everything, therefore difficult to sort / clear items - this is a gradual process, but we need SPACE to get things sorted, and TIME to then do it
5) recent unexpected development is now my aging / ailing father-in-law, and sister-in-law will be moving in, ... along with their stuff
6) I can't take it anymore - I need my workbench, my garage, a place or my wife's car, and space to move around and finish projects

Still working out the details, of location, site prep, budget for an item that was not yet being considered

Some specific things that are still being discussed re the container...
- needs to be water / wind / rodent proof ... I'm leaning towards NEW
- it can not be an eyesore, so it needs to be new, nice paint, good condition ... wife will be happier with that option
- prices are high for either new or used, better deals with longer containers
- rental for a few months is a temporary solution, a better long term option is to purchase one
- my friend can deliver it (that's what he does), but he is limited to 20 ft containers with his equipment
- I was thinking 40 footer, and I have a good connection for a NEW 40 ft, High Cube container (or 20 ft container, at about 75 % of cost), value is the 40 ft
- ultimately, when I land one on the yard it will probably be in the wrong spot. Location options are limited (and there may be a need to find a spot for a live in travel trailer in the same proximity ... for the outlaws, family)
- I'm thinking that a container is good for long term needs, so it's not a temporary storage fix, it will always be useful on the farm

So, although I want to purchase a new, 40 foot High Cube container ($8500), and have the best location for a one time placement, I will probably need to think the opposite ... a 20 foot container ($6750), rented for now ($150 / mo), and able to reposition if needed, by my friend for a couple hundred bucks. Transport alone for a 20 ft can was over $600 Cdn, much more for a 40 ft.

so much to think about. Trying to think out loud.
cheers

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #2  
If you do go with a container, be sure you get it off the ground so you have air circulation under it, otherwise you'll have lots of humidity inside and things will rust quickly and leather with mold & mildew. May want to add exhaust fans for the interior. Someone posted some solar powered fans they'd added that looked like would work well. Be sure it is level or the doors will stick.

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #3  
I have been renting one for a while an my neighbor has a few on his place. I think they are a good solution. Not pretty but very useful. You will likely only be able to use the benefits of the high cube if you put shelves in it. I can't get anything stacked to the top of my standard cube for any length of time before the boxes topple over.

If you think you want a 40' get a 40'. Don't forget you will need to keep a walkway clear all the way to the back. That takes some of the storage space.

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #4  
I'm planning a container but only have room for a 20'. I would definitely go with the 40' in your case, twice the space for a little bit more money!

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #5  
If you do go with a container, be sure you get it off the ground so you have air circulation under it, otherwise you'll have lots of humidity inside and things will rust quickly and leather with mold & mildew. May want to add exhaust fans for the interior. Someone posted some solar powered fans they'd added that looked like would work well. Be sure it is level or the doors will stick.
100% agree. I have used tractor trailers as storage. The temperature change from a hot day to a cool night will cause the inside of the trailer to sweat. I have seen furniture stored in sofa bags sweat and mold. Cutting vents in the front of the trailer is not enough.

I have not tied this attic fan but I will next time I use trailer for long term storage. It is solar powered if you do not have electricity to the drop location. 3Tsgave good advice

1646058309477.png

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #6  
Up off the ground for ventilation under it. But more important attach some sort of roof over it. Sheets of iron with a 6 inch gap between the top of the container and the roof even better get a cheap carport building and put the container inside it keeping direct sun off the container roof & walls goes a long way towards reducing the condensation forming on the roof and raining down on everything

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #7  
One thing to keep in mind is, if you live in a zoned community, local zoning may not allow it. I'd check before hand.

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans #8  
I am heading down the same path. As with everything today, containers have gotten much more expensive. I need storage out on our rural property along with a place to store the tractor. Loading and hauling it back and forth is a real pain, but I am not willing to leave it sitting out there in the open where someone might see it during the week and decide to "take a look".

I am planning 2 40'HC's with a 20' span between them and a 36' span roof over them. That gives room to park the tractor and stuff and secure storage out of the elements for other tools, etc. in the containers.

I want to build it in such a why that it can be disassembled and moved elsewhere on the property in the future. I intend to put a door in the side of at least one of them for easier access from under the cover. Once we build and get things settled, I am thinking it may get placed on the other end of the property and turned into a cabin for friends/family to come visit. At least that is the selling point that my better half has bought into..8^)

I was determined to get "new" 1-trip containers but prices are really making me lean toward the next lower category of "sea-worthy". I expect I will eventually paint them, etc.

Even with the higher cost of the containers, it really does seem to be the most cost effective and fastest way to get a building to meet our needs.

The vents are a great idea. It is pretty dry out here, but I had not thought about condensation.

Our land is open range land with junipers, pinions and cactus, so other than finding a solid place to put it and setting corner stones for the containers, space is not a problem. Still need a building permit, etc.

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans
I have people for all the technical stuff :) A friend is THE guy that started the Big Steel Box company (local company, now throughout North America) and a buddy is a Container deliverer. They will both be here when it lands on the yard. So I couldn't ask for better help ... just need to determine all the details. I have a meeting tomorrow about it all.

/ SHIPPING CONTAINERS / Sea Cans
One thing to keep in mind is, if you live in a zoned community, local zoning may not allow it. I'd check before hand.
I live in the country with the bears and coyotes, on 7.5 acres ... several sea cans in the immediate area. Should be fine.