Shipping container/ connex box base

/ Shipping container/ connex box base #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
Afternoon all,

I ended up purchasing the connex box I have been renting. I'm in the process of building a house and don't have a lot of time or money to commit to building and elaborate pad. I've got equipment to move it right now but not for long so I went ahead and got it about where I want it. But it's on what is usually wet ground in the winter so I don't want it to just sit on the dirt. I'm thinking about getting a few railroad ties to make a very small "mat" at each end and just leave it elevated/ open in the middle. Do you guys have any better ideas?

Resized_20231125_163417.jpegResized_VideoCapture_20231125-174928.jpeg

/ Shipping container/ connex box base #2  
just put stone down under it.

/ Shipping container/ connex box base #3  
stone disappears into the ground in wet areas inside of weeks, if not months. If you put down stone, put down #3 first, then #2. Should be about 10 yards of each.

/ Shipping container/ connex box base #4  
Only need to support it at the corners, so a pad at each end with airflow under it is fine. Ideally if you can keep there from being lots of water under it even better.

I've got my 40' on a slight grade (container is level though); gravel under it all though it probably doesn't need it except at the ends, good pad of gravel at the front for easy entrance. Halves of railroad ties under the corners (double height at the back end). Mine has doors at both ends so there's a couple extra ties as a stairway at the back end too. Inside stays completely dry, very happy.

Gap under the container sides (the floor is higher remember) goes from one RR tie at one end to two RR tie thickness at the other end - keep enough space under it that a cat / bobcat / fox can keep other creatures from nesting under it.

I'm involved with a music camp that has a couple 20's that used to be right on the (grassy) ground at the edge of what used to be a meadow. Had lots of condensation drip issues inside. My son and I took our high-lift jack over there and put blocks under the corners of those two containers and despite the area still being a boggy mess in the winter there was zero condensation inside them this year, though I wouldn't be surprised if the blocks sink a bit over time. (Bonus - we actually leveled them pretty well and the doors open better now too!)

/ Shipping container/ connex box base #5  
Use road fabric, put down the heavy fabric and 3-6" of gravel or crusher run, could even do a driveway access to it the same way.
Will work great and the gravel/stone will not disappear into the mud.
Quality road fabric is the best thing out there for pads and roadways.

/ Shipping container/ connex box base #6  
I just put a few 4x4 scrap pieces of lumber under mine. I may move it some day and didn't want anything more permanent. Paint it white if you have time. Summer it will be like an oven inside.