Shining up my new 3-bottom plow

/ Shining up my new 3-bottom plow #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Picked up a 3-bottom plow a month or so ago, and decided to see what it could do. So I got couple acres that I just bushhog a few times a year, but is pretty rough. From clearing the fence lines, taking out old trees, putting in some tile, etc. I decided the ground needs a good once-over.

So here are some shots

IMG_20161026_151516709_HDR.jpgIMG_20161026_151535672.jpgIMG_20161026_151613585.jpgIMG_20161026_151630550_HDR.jpg

/ Shining up my new 3-bottom plow #2  
Very nice pictures. Better furrow walls than I can manage.

How many years of plow experience do you have?

Will you Disc this Fall or wait until early Spring?

I store my Ford Series 101, 2-bottom with moldboard sprayed with a thin coat of Rustoleum. How do you store yours?

/ Shining up my new 3-bottom plow #3  
By the looks o the job its doing, it must have scoured up pretty good. Don't be afraid to use regular paint from left over rattle cans on it when you get done.
No need for special soft paint, and grease won't last if you store it outside, or for very long intervals.

/ Shining up my new 3-bottom plow #4  
The soil looks great. As long as you have it all worked up, you might as well plant something in it next spring that you can eat. Maybe sweet corn, melons, peppers, tomatoes, etc. You know, all the ingredients for the First Annual LD1-TBN Backyard Party next summer! ;)

It does look like the plow's doing a good job. I paint my shined surfaces with leftover rattle cans like the others have said. I learned the hard way that grease doesn't last.

/ Shining up my new 3-bottom plow
How many years of plow experience do you have?

Non really.

In years past, we have always put dads dearborn 2-bottom on either his N, or my old L3400. Only plowing a ~50x150 or so garden. Which isnt enough time to even get the bugs worked out. Between dad and I, since I have owned a tractor since 2005, we have plowed that 50x150 garden maybe 4 times that I can remember. And thats it.

Will you Disc this Fall or wait until early Spring?

Plan on waiting until spring, as soon as it is dry enough to do so. Let mother nature and old man winter do their thing to level it off some.

I store my Ford Series 101, 2-bottom with moldboard sprayed with a thin coat of Rustoleum. How do you store yours?

Plenty of rattle cans. I will shoot it with something. I forgot to mention, the plow is a ferguson model 14R-AO-28 for what its worth. Had to use a torch and hammer and free up the shaft on two of the coulters as they wouldnt pivot. They all spun nicely though.

/ Shining up my new 3-bottom plow
Here is a shot from the house of the area. Bout 1/2 acre that I plowed

IMG_20161026_171314749_HDR.jpg

No plans to plant anything. Just smooth it for now. Ideally I would like for the farmer that farms the back field to just make this an extension of where he already farms, then I dont have to worry about bushhogging it. But there were two fence lines and large trees that I took out, plowing ripped up some more roots that I have to pick up. I want to get the ground as "clean" as possible before I do anything.

Here is the area I plowed....you can see the trees and fences that used to be there. (I left the corner post as my survey marker is right beside it.)
plowed area.PNG

And here is the area I would like him to farm if he is willing

potential farm.PNG