Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples?

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #1  

CentralNC

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35A
I have been looking at options for building a shop to store all my stuff. I have looked at page after page of pole barn projects here on TBN and contacted a few members for advice. There are some really nice looking pole barns out there. I have about 9 sq of expensive asphalt shingles left over from building my house. I bought them at a really good price and kept them because I thought I would build a shop and wanted the roof to match my house. I also have about 5000 bricks left over. My plan was to build a brick 2nd garage with the same color roof next to my house.

The problem is that I really can't afford a nice bricked 30'x40' garage right now, but I need some place to store my tools, tractor, mower and motorcycle. It looks like a pole barn is the best option. I would really like to use the left over shingles on the pole barn so that it will match the house. I might have to increase the pitch of the roof from 4/12 to 5/12 or 6/12 and add some extra posts, but that is OK.

Does anyone have any examples or pictures of a pole barn with metal siding and an asphalt roof? Any comments or insight? I would eventually like to install a ceiling and insulate the building.

Thanks.

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #2  
We built our pole barn like your describing but didn't insulate it. The biggest thing different is you need to set the rafters at least every 2'. We used a heavy 50 year asphalt shingle over 1/2" plywood on 2' spaced rafters. I don't have any pictures right now but will take one in the morning. We set our posts every 8' which isn't a big expense really. Just a more stout barn overall.

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #3  
I had a 24x36 barn open on one long side that I doubled in size by adding a block three stall addition to for my stallions I had at the time. I removed the metal roofing, doubled the trusses to go from a 48 to a 24 inch span. Decked it with 5/8 plywood and then shingled it.

One, the metal roof did not have insulation between the tin and the purlins so it sweated profusely at times even with the long open front. Two, my Arab stallion was a bit crazy so I felt that the shingle over decking roof would be quieter than the tin.

The used roofing tin did not go to waste, I used it on the sidewalls of another barn on the property.

Have to dig through my CD's to find photos of it when I get a chance.

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #5  
Shingled roofs on pole barns are common. The cost is higher but you already have the shingles. You will need to sheath the roof with OSB, but there are two ways to do this. You can go to 24 inch spacing on the trusses or you can go with 48 inch spacing and add purlins across them before you put the OSB on. No reason to go over 4/12 and, in your area, 3/12 would probably still be OK.

Now, here comes the "opinion". In you situation, I would pour a "brickledge" outside the posts, lay facebrick up to wainscot height (about 42") and then put metal above it. Combine that with your shingle roof and no one will ever know if it's a pole barn or a frame structure.

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #6  
It's not a great picture but it should show what mine looks like.

ForumRunner_20120904_185353.png

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #7  
I am 80% of the way through a 24x24 single slope, low slope (1:6) pole barn. Rafters are 2x10 24"o.c. with 1/2 inch plywood for a deck. Asphalt shingles on top. As the roof slopes towards the back corner of the property, I don't see it and, apart from shingle nailing photos, I don't have a panned out view of the roof to share.

I priced out metal / purlins and found it to be more expensive, so that was another reason to go with asphalt. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't hesitate to proceed with your plan. Have fun!

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #8  
You can view the progress of my barn build here: Jim's Pole Barn Project.

We completed the barn about 7 years ago now. (Wow time flies) Since that time, the house you see in the pictures burnt, we lived in a house trailer in front of the barn for about 7 months while we built the new house. It was interesting going back looking at some of the pictures though.

We've been really pleased with the barn. It has held up well, no issues other than I lost a couple of shingles in the spring and I haven't replaced them yet - no leaks. I did dig the leftover shingles out a couple of weekends ago, so now that the weather is starting to break I can hopefully get the missing ones replaced. Some day, we still plan on insulating and finish the inside, but the money just hasn't been there. I have a heat pump for it, but no furnance to be installed in it. It was on the old house that burnt. It had just been replaced less than a year before the fire and wasn't hurt in the fire so instead of scrapping it I saved it. Guess I really need to be doing something with it.

Funny thing is, we used to store 3 vehicles and the tractor in this barn. After the fire I couldn't get any vehicles in it. I've finally have gotten it cleaned up and straightened back up enough that I can always get the truck in and if I do some rearranging I can get a second vehicle in. The car and Suburban are now parked in the garage attached to the house.

/ Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #9  
Here is a picture. I did mine with shingles and siding to match the house. Osb for the roof and walls. It's not the best picture but maybe it will give you an idea.

Attachments

• image-1907945004.jpg
    image-1907945004.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 2,929
   / Shingle Roof on a Pole Barn - Any examples? #10  
I will be shingling my barn when its done, about 15sq to match the house. Trusses are 2' oc.

Attachments

• DSCN3552.JPG
    DSCN3552.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 3,319
  • DSCN3776.JPG
    DSCN3776.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 1,636